Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Oct 13, 2009, 05:55 PM
    PC Running Super Slow for past 2 days only
    I'm running XP SP3 and all the usual stuff (Office, etc).

Once a month I do a thorough cleaning using CCleaner, SuperAntiSyware, Malwarebytes, defrag, disk cleanup, etc.

I do have a bad habit of putting my PC in sleep mode overnight instead of power cycling it (I know, I know).

For the past 2 years, since I reformatted, added more RAM, put in a new faster HDD, it's been working great.

2 days ago, I noticed a distinct slow down of all functions. Tried power cycling, which usually does the trick, but not this time.

Everything is at a snails pace. Ran through all the maintenance and defragged again, which seemed to help for about an hour, then back to a crawl.

What could be causing this? I have 93% free space on my HDD and plenty of available RAM.

Please don't tell me I need to reformat. PLEASE DON'T...

Thanks...
    ComputerHelpers Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2009, 09:55 PM

Sounds like your PC is running with the brakes on. Try task manager, look for what's hogging all the CPU or allocated memory, then track it down by application to see if something is using up all your sys resources.

Bottom of desktop screen. Find a space with no icons on bottom. Right click on that space. Task manager opens as an option.

Beware of disabling any system or network level application when you go in there.

Oct 14, 2009, 06:19 AM

Is there a site where I can look up the process names in the task manager to see what they are, and if safe to delete?

I found this site, but it appears only to apply to start up applications. Sysinfo.org
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 09:30 AM

Check here for posts 3 and 5
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...rs-233870.html

Services XP sp3
    Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations by Black Viper

Oct 14, 2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks Seahwk.

Since I installed CCleaner about a year ago, at your recommendation (thank you, thank you, thank you!), I have stopped using Disk Cleanup. I thought CCleaner replaced Disk Cleanup?

Based on the post you refer to, it seems I should be doing both. Is that correct?

Also, I have now done every thing that everyone has suggested, and my PC is still operating like it's just going to "stall" any minute. This happened rather abruptly over the past couple of days.

Based on SAS and Malwarebytes, plus my own antivirus program, I don't seem to have any malware.

Would you say it is time to reformat? I just did so 14 months ago and my PC was flying after that. I didn't expect to need another fresh install so soon. It this normal?

I'm very curious, if it's not a virus, is CCleaner really capable of cleaning the registry well enough to keep my PC running fast without a reformat? I really don't understand what is causing this.

Most of the posts I've read have to do with speed boosts for PC's. After a fresh install, I don't need a speed boost. So is this a problem I have on my PC right now, or just normal age related slow down?

I'd really like to understand what is happening. Would greatly appreciate it if you would not mind answering my list of questions here.

Thanks very much...

MSC
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 03:55 PM

Was there anything installed (hardware/software) recently about the time when the computer started to crawl?

With posts 2 and 5 above, both posts could be done without issue

Make sure to disable indexing and go through the services guide and disable or set to manual on some of the services as suggested in the link.

Any changes you can think of made recently

Go to task mgr and look through all the running processes and look for anything that not sure of or what it might be related to, if not sure, can Google or post here.

Have you gotten all your MS updates?

If you like, you can post a Hijackthis log to see if anything out of place or not needed

Oct 14, 2009, 06:11 PM

As a matter of fact, I did add something about 2 weeks ago, and tweaked the registry at the same time.

I was trying to get IE7 to remember passwords on sites that it used to, but no longer does.

Came across this little utility called IE Passview and downloaded it. Allows you to display the password and user name in the registry sub-folder called Storage2 where IE7 stores passwords.

Here is the link:
    Recover Internet Explorer forgotten passwords
    IE PassView - Password Manager Program for Internet Explorer

In the process, I discovered that my registry only had sub-folder Storage1, so I added Storage2 sub-folder, and everything seemed to be working OK.

Here is the registry path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2

(originally only had Storage1)

Knowing almost nothing about the registry, it certainly seems plausible that I could have screwed something up by adding Storage2.

I suppose it is also possible that this IE Passsview utility may be some bogus application that screwed something up. Although it does do what it claims to do.

Any suggestions based on this info?

The timing fits.

Thanks...
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 06:53 PM

With that as you can always add it back, I would remove what was added to the registry to go back to the way it was previously.

Now with IE remembering pw's when you go to sites, there is IEpro7 that is an addon for IE and one of it's options is to save and remember sites you have visited and automatically puts the PW in when you go to the site.

Worth a look, personally I add this to new installations when have to as there are other tools that this has also but this is my main reason using it and also has the options to upload your bookmarks and if you ever need them again, you can download your bookmarks with the ones you uploaded previously.

As far as the PW's go, with IEpro7 installed, you would go to the site and enter your pw info and then right click on the little icon in right bottom corner and go to forms - then click save form

From this point on, when you visit that site, the pw will be entered for you

If interested in this type of option
    IE7Pro - The Ultimate Add-On for Internet Explorer

There are other settings you can go through, but that is all user prefernce

Oct 14, 2009, 07:35 PM

Thanks Seahwk. IE7pro sounds a bit like Lazarus for Firefox, which I use. I shall check it out.

My main concern however, is the slow PC operation.

What is the best way to go about this?

I could just delete the sub-folder I added, or I could try a system restore to the day before.

Also, do you think I should uninstall Passview? It won't work anyway without the Storage2 sub-folder. Have you ever heard of it?

A strange aside, my other PC with XP has the Storage 2 sub-folder, but mine does not. Why would that be?
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 08:03 PM

Can try either or combo of both to see if either may be some cause of slowdown

Can always add them back if need be

But can also try a system restore back to a couple days ago before the slowdown.

Oct 15, 2009, 06:37 AM

Thanks SH,

Any idea why my version of XP does not include Storage2 in the registry?

From what I have read, that is where it store the passwords and usernames for site logins.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:43 AM

If it was a full genuine installed version, could not say.

Only thing I could think of that may help for the reason it may not be there would be to do a repair installation of XP - The downside of that would be a repair installation would bring all the original system files back as if freshly installed and all updates installed would need to be reinstalled and if you haad upgraded to SP3 through updates, you would need an XP SP3 install disk and not the original one before SP3 and if you had an XP sp3 install disk, there is no way to tell if the storage2 would be put back as the SP3 update did not address missing files from original install.

Other than fresh install at this point, may be something just have to accept.

As long as system is working other than that, would consider the workaround with 3rd party apps

Oct 15, 2009, 10:18 AM

I see. I bought my PC new, with XP installed (old version... maybe SP1). Don't have an OS CD. Just a recovery CD which, as I understand it, does not contain the OS. It just pulls a fresh copy of the original XP off the D partition.

Bottom line; I can live without Storage2 sub-folder in registry, as you suggest, and NOT do a fresh install. That is what I am trying to avoid.

If you don't mind answering a few last questions, as I said, I really don't know much about the registry.

1) If I use System Restore, will that be able to fix anything that may have gotten messed up by my adding the sub-folder to the registry? Or are there any permanent registry changes that cannot be undone by System Restore?

2) I seem to remember reading somewhere that a System Restore should be done in the Safe Mode. True or false?

3) If the System Restore doesn't solve the problem, is there any reason I should NOT manually add the sub-folder Storage2 to the registry if I have to do a fresh install?

Thanks again SH...
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 10:55 AM

1)
    If you use system restore, your system will go back in time of the date of tha resotre point ()Any changes you made (software/hardware) will have to be reinstalled as system will not recognize as it was installed after the restore point date)

2)
    You can do system restore in reg mode or safe mode, same results (get you back to time and date of that resotre point)

3)
    You can then manually install the reg key again if needed and see how results may fair

Of course a fresh install is last step anyone wants to make but is always an option

Make appropriate backups of saved files and "whatever" do the fresh install and then re-install all your software and add the backups of files where they may need to go.

Really depends on your situation as it appears in front of you and how you may want to proceed.

If a fresh install is an option, I would suggest to install 1 app/product at a time and make sure all working properly before installing next program just to see if maybe on program installed may cause an issue as far as anything.

Hope this helps out in some way, only so many options and I hope I was able to give a good answer to all questions, though kind of round-a-bout but address the questions

With a fresh install though, you would be starting from scratch and go from there as far as installing, updating, the tweaks as mentioned earilier about posts 3 and 5 of how to help speed up PC and other changes you may have made

Really user option

Oct 15, 2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the support SH. I made 3 significant changes, all on the same date about 2 weeks ago, so I am hoping that the Sys Restore will catch whatever is causing the problem.

I'll post the results. If things don't go well, someone may have to call the paramedics.

Last question, I swear (maybe). Under normal circumstances, how long should a PC run well before a fresh install is needed?

I used my PC for 7 years before I needed to do one. Now it's only been 14 months. (Hopefully just because I screwed with the registry).

Thanks again for all your support and time on this. I'm obviously still learning here...
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 03:38 PM

Would be up to the situation as of how many apps added and what the purpose of the apps installed as far as just a game or something or something that would be a system type of app that may add possibly a service to the system which would run each time PC is booted or something added to the startup items that is running in backround.

Ideally you would not need to reninstall, but really depends on software changes/additions and what the software's purpose may be intended for.

Ccleaner is a big help with the registry and the services link mentioned earlier to go through the services to see if all services that are started are actually needed for the system to run.

The last thing I want to do is a fresh install and have been able to avoid that.

When your system is running as you like it and all software installed is running fine, a backup would be the best way to go.

Personally use Acronis True Image for my laptop and if need be, I can use the backup and the system will be fully recovered back to the date of the Image created by True Image (without fail in the 3 times I have had to use it) Just have to reinstall anything from the date is was restored to the date I used the image to go back to. I try to make a fresh backup about 1 time a month so not so many changes made since last backup.

Oct 15, 2009, 04:00 PM

Oh, that's good to hear. I don't add many apps, and am not a gamer.

I've heard people say on this site, that they do a fresh install at least once a year, so I thought maybe I should be doing that as well.

Took me a week last time to get everything working right and configured. Don't want to go through that again!

I too have a clone of my HDD after my last fresh install. I use Casper XP (great program). I actually cloned it on an extra internal drive I had, and have it safely tucked away in my desk.

If I do need a fresh install, I'll clone my "master clone" back to my current drive. Then, as you pointed out, must update the drive from the last 14 months.

You said that you update your back up image once a month. I see the wisdom in that, but have been hesitant to do so, since I didn't want any junk that may be on my HHD getting onto my back up. I wanted the back up to be as clean as new.

Well, off I go to do my System Restore. Wish me luck...

And thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 04:18 PM

No problem, but before I do my monthly backup, I make sure that I only have what I want installed working and running, do registry cleaning, clean junk files, do system defrag, reboot and then do the backup so if/when need to do one, I know the system will be working to satisfaction - clean and working

Oct 15, 2009, 04:36 PM

That reminds me. I know you use CCleaner. You introduced me to it and I use it all the time.

Since I started using CCleaner, I stopped doing Disk Cleanup, because I thought CCleaner did the same.

Yesterday I read an article that said to use both.

Does Disk Cleanup do more things than CCleaner alone?
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 05:00 PM

Personally don't use ccleaner any longer, I use
    Adv. System Care but I use the disk cleanup option to clear out old restore points - when removing old restore points, it removes all old ones except for the last restore point created - that is only reason I use the disk cleanup (just for the disk space and the last restore point that is kept I know is a good one)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 days past ovulation [ 3 Answers ]

I am 10 days past ovulation and I am starting to get some pains in my lower abdomen, I wouldn't say it was bad pains just feelings I've never noticed. It's almost like a very light cramp or tightness. I'm also starting to feel slight nausea in the mornings and late afternoon. Has anyone...

My Compaq Presario 160GB hd running XP is running very slow [ 8 Answers ]

computer is running very slowly in everything, except the internet.anti virus programs and a few anti-spyware programs. Stinger, windows defender, AVG Free, Ad-Aware and spyware Doctor.the computer even restarts randomly by itself! Says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I do not know the...

No clog - super slow draining bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

A little while ago I wanted to change the faucet in my bathroom. I bought new taps and it came with a pop-up drain cover so I changed that out and replaced an old chrome P-trap with plastic. The old sink setup was working fine - I just didn't like the taps. When I re-connected everything, the sink...

14 days past ovulation? [ 2 Answers ]

WOuld a test be accurate no matter what time during the day you test, if you are 14 days past ovulation? I have irregular periods so I don't know when I would be "late" I do know that I ovulated about 14 days ago and now I'm having a lot of pregnancy symptoms... Should I wait until morning to test...

Would this be a super slow leak? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the habit of checking the water meter on a regular basis for leaks etc... It looks like the "tell-tale" thing on the water meter moves by like 10-20 degrees once in 5 minutes (that too not everytime), but the main arm (that has 0.1 to 0.9 cuft) written does not move. So I did an...

View more questions Search