Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tabslongs89 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Actos? Hypoglycemia?
    Hello,
    I am a 20 year old female, healthy weight - 5'4, 120lbs, workout. Recently I decided to go to the doctor to have my thyroid tested because my heart rate is higher than it should be. The blood work showed that my thyroid and all related hormone levels were within normal range - however, my blood glucose level was only 56 (I wasn't fasting). So, my doctor had me do the 2hour glucose test (draw blood, drink orange glucose drink, draw blood 1hour later, draw blood another hour later) and my first level was in the 60s (fasting), second one (after the drink) was 89, and then 73 was my last reading. So, doctor (this is my general physician since I was 14) came to the conclusion that I am hypoglycemic. I know that in some cases you're hypoglycemic when young and then become diabetic when older (I have a great aunt who did this), also, my mom, aunt, grandmother and grandfather are all diabetics and I have a cousin, 21 - similar situation except that he's male - so, me being hypoglycemic isn't exactly a surprise. My problem is what my doctor told me (and gave me samples of) to take...

He gave me Actos (pioglitazone HCL, 15mg) and it's an anti diabetic medication for people with type 2 diabetes, it helps your body make the receptors more accepting of your own insulin so that it'll reduce your blood glucose levels but mine are already too low so this would only drop me even lower - so my questions are...

Is there something that I don't know about this medication? Is it supposed to be given to hypoglycemic people? Knowing what I know about the medication it doesn't make any sense - the only meds I know of for hypoglycemia are all injections

Also, he's acting like this is why I have an on-going high heart rate but at the same time saying that my heart rate should only go up during an "episode" - which isn't the case. I do have an appt with my mother's diabetes doctor but not until Dec.8 because I'm a new patient.
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2009, 02:34 AM

I don't get the Actos either, unless... Were you also found to be insulin resistant. It is not uncommon for inslin resistant people to have episodes of hypogylcemia. People who are insulin resistant are at greater risk for diabetes. Tachycardia (elevated heart rate) can occur with a drop in blood sugar. Are you passing out as a result of the drop in blood sugar? If not, maybe you might want to wait things out until you see the other doctor in early December. I'm as confused as you regarding the Actos, have you talked to the doctor and asked why this was prescribed? The only logical conclusion I can come to is that you are also insulin resistant, and putting you on Actos might level off your blood sugar. But Metformin is usually the medication of choice there. See if you can contact the doctors' nurse, and ask if she can find out why you are on this medication.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 06:12 AM

This is nothing to be diagnosed on a Board - you need to speak to your Physician and ask these very specific questions.

As far as Metformin being the "medication of choice" in this situation, I do not agree.

My late husband was Diabetic, also a Doctor of Pharmacy so I have some knowledge of the subject.

Again - don't talk to the Nurse. Go back with your questions and ask your Physician.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 09:38 AM

Hypoglycemia is cured by diet in a lot of cases. Many years ago before hypoglycemia became a "designer" disease I had it. I would literally fall asleep after a dandy lunch of Campbell's noodle soup and Pepsi Cola. Yep. Too much sugar and my system paid me back by making me go to sleep like I was a drunk. I ate a high protein diet shunning carbs (but still eating some carbs) and within a month I was much better. I did that when I was aged 20. Now if I find myself eating too many carbs and falling asleep right after a meal I know I have to up my protein intake and I will be okay. I'm a nondrug person and tend to shy away from the latest designer drugs. Food can cure more diseases or problems with the human body. Start eating better and your health will definitely improve. I know, as it did in my case. I had terrible eating habits prior to age 20. Read up on how vital proper food intake is and hypoglycemia problems are corrected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search