Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newlylaidoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Unemployment as 1099?
    I was laid off yesterday due to company closing and elimination of my position. I have already received a job offer part time as a 1099.

In the state of GA, can a person still draw unemployment benefits if working part time as a 1099?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:26 PM

You can still collect unemployment IF the gross figure from your part time job is less than the weekly benefit amount you would get from unemployment insurance.

For instance:

You receive $200 a week unemployment.
    Your part time job pays $150 gross a week.
    You would receive the $50 difference from unemployment to equal your weekly benefit amount.

The 1099 just means that no taxes will be withheld from your paycheck.

You must report each week to unemployment just as if you were not making any other money. Should this part time job be a temporary job, then reporting the income weekly will keep your unemployment claim open and active. Should this job end, you need to report that the part time job ended.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Good answer, even though this question is NOT a tax question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I collect unemployment if I'm 1099? [ 20 Answers ]

I started working as a full time W-2 employee for a small business owner in 2003. I'm the only full time employee. Four years being W-2 my shady boss moves her business in her home. She did not have a permit to run her business from her home and started to get in trouble so she changed me to 1099...

Collecting Unemployment While on 1099 [ 3 Answers ]

So bottom line. I have been out of work for 9 months now, and collecting unemployment. I am looking at a couple of jobs that offer 1099 contracting work. Does anyone know for the state of PA if I'd be able to collect unemployment while on a 1099? Everything I looked up thus far is people asking if...

1099 and unemployment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been working for this company about 3 yrs. I started on the books. The last 3 months or so I have been switched to 1099 pay. I read another Q&A that said I can’t collect unemployment if I get laid of now that I’m 1099. If I get laid off am I not eligible to collect for the previous...

Unemployment and misc.1099 [ 2 Answers ]

I've worked for a company for two years. I was paid 1099 misc. I was not a self contractor. I managed a department and drove a company vehicle. I had a set schedule that was made by my dept. head and had to report to someone daily. Will I be able to collect unemployment?

Can I collect unemployment if I'm 1099? [ 1 Answers ]

I started working as a full time W-2 employee for a small business owner in 2003. I'm the only full time employee. Four years being W-2 my shady boss moves her business in her home. She did not have a permit to run her business from her home and started to get in trouble so she changed me to 1099...

View more questions Search