Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaChang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Hello,

It seems the P trap under our kitchen sink is leaking. When I try to tighten the joint, it just spins and will not tighten. I can also move the p trap up and down on the pipe coming down from the sink, it is very loose. We have the black plastic piping(PVC?), no metal. Do I need to place the whole thing or is there some type of clue I can use to hold it in place? My husband is pretty handy and I think he can get it figured out, we are just not sure what steps to take. I can take some pics if it would help. Thanks!

Sorry, I can't see how to edit my previous post, that should say, Do I need to REplace the whole thing or is there some type of GLUE I can use to hold it in place.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 10:56 AM

Did this just happen or is this a new installation? It sounds like the plastic washers are not in place for it to slide so easily. Any chance of a picture. Do not glue.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 10:59 AM

Donna: The black pipe is called Tubular ABS. Basically, it is thin wall ABS material. Fortunatelly for you, it is very easy to work with and also it is inexpensive to buy...

The P-Trap is sliding up and down because the nut is loose. The nut is spinning because it is either cracked or the plastic thread is stripped.

Go to Home Depot, and purchase new 1 1/2" nut and washer. Slip the nut on the vertical pipe, then the washer and then attach the nut to the trap. No tools needed: all is hand tighten. That's all to it...

Let us know how you did... Milo

Oct 13, 2009, 01:01 PM

The house is going on 7 years old. It has leaked before, but we were always able to fix it by just tightening the nut. I think what happened is it slipped off the washer, somehow. I was able to push it back on & tighten it by hand.

Should we try to tighten it more and what type of wrench do we need to do so? It seems pretty firm now, but I'm worried about it slipping again. I have emptied 2 sink fulls of water and no leaks so far. Thanks for the help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 01:03 PM

You do not need a wrench for a PVC trap, hand tighten only. Like a previous poster memtioned, the nut may be cracked or striped, replace the whole trap is cheap.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 02:26 PM

Donna: tighten only as needed. If it leaks, try to tighten a 1/4 turn more. All by hand. If nut doesn't want to engage and keeps getting loose as it is being turned - then you will need a new nut. But make sure the plastic, V shaped washer sits nicely in the other pipe.

Oct 13, 2009, 08:43 PM

Thank you. We are going to watch it for a week or so and if it leaks again we will definitely replace the nut & washer as suggested. Right now it seems pretty snug, thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky J-Trap under kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some work yesterday on my stinky dishwasher adjusting the hose connecting the dishwasher to my garbage disposal and in the process I banged my elbow on the J-trap under the sink and then noticed that it started to leak. The water leaks very slowly oozing out through the top of the nut...

Bathroom Sink Pipes/P-trap Leaking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I'm admittedly a novice and am very close to calling a plumber, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas... I removed an old vanity and replaced it with one that was about 4" taller. The waste pipe that comes out of the wall sits pretty low, and the tailpipe that came with...

Old kitchen sink P-Trap - how to remove? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have a clogged kitchen sink in my apartment that hasn't responded to drain cleaners, plumbing, enzymes, etc. It's an old house, old sink, old iron pipes. I rent, so I'm not going to take the whole thing out and replace it with PVC. There's lots of advice online about removing the p-trap...

New kitchen sink too small for old p-trap [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! You all had such good advice last winter when I was having drain problems that I thought of you all first about this. I am remodeling my small galley kitchen and trying to maximize space. Since my sink drain goes into the wall, I decided to try to get a drawer under the sink base. I checked...

View more questions Search