Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaybirds Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Gas fireplace will not start up
    I have 2 gas fireplaces in 2 separate cabins - one will not ignite when the thermostat calls for heat and one ignites when I turn the knob from pilot to on and will not shut down when the thermostat in turned down - last yr I had the same problem with one - I cleaned the thermostat wires with sandpaper and it worked - not this time - labaman can you help? Regards.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 08:57 PM

There should be two wires at the thermostat, remove one, if the fireplace shuts off, replace the thermostat. Does the fireplace that won't light have a pilot light? What brand fireplaces are they? Do they have power ran to them or are the gas valves powered by a thermopile?

Oct 12, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07 View Post
    There should be two wires at the thermostat, remove one, if the fireplace shuts off, replace the thermostat. Does the fireplace that wont light have a pilot light? What brand fireplaces are they? Do they have power ran to them or are the gas valves powered by a thermopile?
    They both have pilot lights with thermocouplers and are made by regency.
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 09:18 PM

Do they have wall mounted thermostats? I'm guessing they have milivolt generators, the one that won't fire may have a bad generator (thermopile),try bypassing the thermostat,if it still will not fire,replace the thermopile,it's located right next to the thermocouple on the pilot assembly. The one that won't shut off,try disconnecting the thermostat.

Oct 12, 2009, 09:32 PM

Yes they have wall mounted thermostats - and say 750 millivolt on them - do I have to use the mercury ones or can I go to a higher quality thermostat - something seems to always go wrong this time of yr when I fire them up for the winter -
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 09:49 PM

Any kind of low voltage thermostat should work.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Here is a bit of gas fireplace info for you to keep.
    This is the Regency web site manuals. While your exact manual might not be available almost all gas fireplaces operate the same way within a brand name. Down load or keep this site for reference for future problems. The manuals contain your complete gas burner specs and a how to service section to help you when it breaks again.

Regency Fireplace Products - Manuals

Oct 20, 2009, 07:27 PM
    I change the thermopile in the one that wouldn't light - works great now - I changed the thermopile - thermocoupler - and thermostat in the other one with no success - the pilot light lights fine - when I turn the gas knob from pliot to on the burner lights up and stays lit regardless where the thermostat is? Any idea - could I have installed the coupler wrong?

Oct 20, 2009, 07:29 PM

The manuals were a great reference.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Disconnect thermostat wire and see if unit shuts off. If so then it is in the thermostat or associated wiring.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 08:54 PM

Does the fireplace have a bypass switch? I know most brands have some type of bypass that bypasses the wall thermostat and runs the fireplace continuous. Would be located near the gas valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,this is whisky4 asking about the highest safe temputure for a fireplace,the fireplace I have is fairly thick as it sticks outside of house plus what is inside the house,the house was built in 1924had a chimney sweep look at it and he sid it was all right,thank,s

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing fireplace (insert) w/ a brick chimney. It is fairly old, but in decent shape except for the back wall of the insert itself. It appears to be nothing more than concrete or mortar of some type over top of the back metal wall of the fireplace. It is cracked and has several plugs...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search