Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 12, 2009, 07:56 PM
    More Hours at work, or use it to study!
    Well I am turning 18 this Wednesday and my boss found out and long story short I am now working 2 more days a week. The thing is I am a senior in high school, and I am concerned on what I should do. Should I try working these 2 extra days when I could spend the time studying. However, I don't know if I really would study if I could (I never did before I got my job, and my grades are pretty much the same as they were before (doing poorly in math but great in my other classes). My mom is totally against me working these extra days but she's against me workign in general and everything else I do. What would you do in this situation? Would you give it a try for a couple of weeks? Not even bother? I know school should come first, but I'm just thinking would I really use this extra time for school? The reason these days are big deals is because I would be working from 4pm-10:30pm on weekdays and I get out of school at 2:11pm. So not much time to study and go above and beyond on homework and such if I need too.
    titan101 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2009, 10:35 PM
    Well if you didn't use the extra time to study before, might as well work and make more money. I'm 18 already and I'm an Assistant Manager at a Specialty Produce store (Youngest Assistant Manager in the entire company) and I have to balance work with school. Basically my days are 7am to 2pm school then 3pm to 945pm. Also I have a ton of homework but I manage, the downside to this is I literally have no free time at all except for Sundays after work. I don't have time to play my xbox 360 anymore. But what you could do is try it out for a week or so and see if you can handle it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Hi, sGt HarDKorE!

What kind of job do you have and do you really need the job, please? I do like titan101's idea of trying things out for a bit.

Thanks!
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 13, 2009, 11:28 AM

Well I don't need to be working necessarily 5 days a week, I'm a bus boy/cook. I do need money for a car (not because I want one, but because I really do need one, as our family only has 1 car and my mom needs it for work. So I can't get to the activities I'm in without being really late or missing them. Also, I need money for food, clothes, etc, though generally my mom can pay for it. Unfortunately, her income is like 1/10 of what it use to be, and so I help pay for bills, food, etc.

But like I said, 5 days of working would give me extra money. What I was thinking of doing was maybe try it for a few months so I can have more money saved up and more money for a cheap car, and then either quit or try to go back to less days
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Hi again, sGt HarDKorE!

It does sound like you have a plan and trying it for awhile is a good idea! It has to be really tough with there being only one car!

Thanks!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 03:10 PM
    I hope you take this to heart.

There will be more jobs.

There will be more money.

Now is the time to lay the foundation for your education. Concentrate all available time on studying. You need to go to college so you can be whatever it is you want to be when you get older. Life is full of opportunities. Having higher education makes those opportunities reality.

I know you think"what does this guy know"? Well time and time again, I saw guys come out of college and make more money than I, and I got tired of it, and went back to college and got a degree.

Now I can do whatever I want.

I wish you luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I go 3 hours late to work without any reason [ 12 Answers ]

Before I used to reach office by 8:00 o-clock But since 4 months ago I ve been going at around 10:00 or 11:00 o-clock and sometimes my mind will conclude that I should no go at all(I will malingre) even today I went at 12:00 o-clock.This is very serious! the worst is that I will have nothing to do...

Work my reduced hours at work or take the payout [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm not sure what to do regarding my job situation with a coworker. We both work 24 hours a week doing the same job. Our boss confronted us and said that the company was downsizing. Thus left with a decision that we either split our 24 hours and both work 12 hours a week or one could take...

Is it OK to work 95 hours a week on salary? [ 1 Answers ]

For over a year, I have been worked as a chef and Director of Food Services for a Private college. 9 out of 12 months of the year I work between 85-106 hours a week. It is a requirement for me to be there, because 90% of my workers are students. Which means I only have 8 staff member and feeding...

Loss of hours at work [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently working a hospitality job while going through college. I applied for and have received full time hours (30+) Recently a new person has been doing the schedule. This person has made it known they don't like me personally because of my lifestyle. I have never called off work and am...

6 weeks pregnant should I cut down on hours of work? [ 6 Answers ]

I found out I was 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, this is my second time becoming pregnant,the first one ended in a m/c in June. I am working 40 hours plus time spend in court, should I cut it down by at least 8 hours a week in order to give the baby and I a rest?

View more questions Search