Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Nov 2, 2006, 08:54 PM
    Various Government Types
    hey guys, I thought I might just ask about something I've always wanted to know...
    you know how there are countries like australia bieng democratic.. america, I think its republic I'm not sure, and other countries being a dictatorship, or comunist... could someone give me a list of all the different types of government and they're differences and beliefs/ values and an example of each...
    thanks heaps :D
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Nov 6, 2006, 10:31 PM
    Here is a partial list:

List of forms of government

Aristocracy
    Autocracy
    Democracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy
    Despotism
    Dictatorship
    Meritocracy
    Monarchy
    Absolute monarchy
    Constitutional monarchy
    Oligarchy
    Plutocracy
    Republic
    Islamic republic
    Single-party state
    Theocracy
    Tyranny

A more complete list and a description for each type is found at the following site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor..._of_government
    VladimirT Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2010, 06:43 AM
    There are only three forms of government. All governments utilize one or more elements of these three.

Monarchy = Rule of One. Sometimes called a dictatorship. Where the political and governmental decisions are decided by one person.

Democracy = Rule of the people. In this form, the citizen participates directly with the functions and decisions of government.

Aristocracy = Rule of the Best. This is the most common form of government where the government is run by a select group of people.

The United States is an Aristocracy. The government is selected by using the democratic process of citizens voting for their representatives. Another term for aristocracy is republic. Do not confuse the term aristocracy with hereditary nobility -that is something completely different but often mistakenly applied.
    Why don't I list communism or fascism? These are economic and political philosophies, not forms of government. The USSR wasn't always a dictatorship- They had the Grand Soviet made up of representatives from each of the Soviet Republics. Nazi Germany still had its Reichstag (Parliament) although Hitler assumed great control over the government. Theoretically, you could have a communist democracy and a fascist aristocracy and historically, these did exist, although few countries are small enough to have functional democracies any more.
    dealta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2011, 12:08 AM
    What is Meritocracy ?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 18, 2011, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dealta View Post
    what is Meritocracy ?

Sounds like a system of government based or merit selection. Perhaps people apply for the position(s) of rulers based on their C.V.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Government [ 38 Answers ]

What do you think is the best form of government? Monarchy? Like the middle east or astrocracy which I don't think exists anymore, or democratic which most of the countries claim to be!

American Government [ 1 Answers ]

Definition of: the group that thought the Constitution set up a government that was too powerful was the ____________?

Government influence [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if there are any aspects of life that the government doesn't have influence over?

Influence on Government [ 1 Answers ]

Which has the most influence on government--the media, interest groups, or political parties? Why? In what ways? Which should have more influence? Why?

View more questions Search