Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melgenser Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Why do parents still have rights after they have lost child after child to the system
    I became close with a foster baby recently - he was being neglected at the foster home he was living at and I took him in. The foster mom had no problem with it as long as she kept the check every month. I never took a penny for keeping the baby. When he was 12 months old he was giving back to his bio mom. When he was 18 months old he ended up back in the system with his 3 yo sister and a newborn addicted to crack.

In the meantime, the social workers will not allow me to see any of the kids because they can't establish a relationship via a paper trail. And the mother - who is still addicted to crack - will not admit that she knows me (I took the baby to court appointed visits).

How does a mother who has lost 9 children to the system still have parental rights. How do I allow the social workers to allow me to see these children again?
    How do you rehab a mother who has lost 9 children - all born addicted to crack - rather than put her in jail?

Who do I call - what can I do. I've been in touch with the Ombudsman - but no one seems to care about the children - their best interest is never in question.

Please help!

Oct 12, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Why do parents still have rights after they have lost all children to the system
    I became close with a foster baby recently - he was being neglected at the foster home he was living at and I took him in. The foster mom had no problem with it as long as she kept the check every month. I never took a penny for keeping the baby. When he was 12 months old he was giving back to his bio mom. When he was 18 months old he ended up back in the system with his 3 yo sister and a newborn addicted to crack.

In the meantime, the social workers will not allow me to see any of the kids because they can't establish a relationship via a paper trail. And the mother - who is still addicted to crack - will not admit that she knows me (I took the baby to court appointed visits).

How does a mother who has lost 9 children to the system still have parental rights. How do I allow the social workers to allow me to see these children again?
    How do you rehab a mother who has lost 9 children - all born addicted to crack - rather than put her in jail?

Who do I call - what can I do. I've been in touch with the Ombudsman - but no one seems to care about the children - their best interest is never in question.

Please help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2009, 03:16 PM

You have to be approved to either foster or adopt the children.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:29 PM
    I am approved. I always was. But I never took money for respite so the county is saying there is lack of proof that I really knew the children.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2009, 04:29 PM

That's understandable, but if you are approved why don't you just request to foster them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 06:26 PM

First you made the first mistake by taking them in without some form of documents.

And where is the father, since he also has rights.

And how does the "mother" know you, I thought you were watching the child for the foster mom? So won't she say you watched the child ?

But rights of a parent are not easily taken away, as long as there is hope they will change their life.

Oct 12, 2009, 10:27 PM

The father is back in rehab again - second time in one year. The mom is in rehab again as well - not jail - she should be in jail. Birthing 9 crack babies should be a crime. The mom wants her kids back - she denies ever knowing us. I would like to just adopt the kids. The social workers won't let us visit and they won't place the children in my licensed home because they can't establish a relationship according to the crack addicted mother. You would think the social workers would want the kids to be with someone they know - to have some sort of stability in their life.

Someone has to pass a law that after you lose like 3 drug addicted children to the system, you lose your chances to get them back. The babies should be adopted out while they're young and a nice family still wants them. Research has proved that they all pretty much end up back in the system over and over and over.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:57 PM

The problem is that she didn't lose them. They were temporarily taken... if they were truly lost to the system she wouldn't have rights to them anymore. Yes, it is a rough thing to have to watch but it has to do with everyone's rights even the crack w@#$%s.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

What are a mothers rights if the parents aren't married for a minor child [ 1 Answers ]

What are a mothers rights in va if the parents aren't married and the father kicked mother out of his house.

Lost parental rights do I still have to pay child support? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Massachusetts and have been involved in a case with the department of social services for a few years now. My ex had custody of my children but was staying with me on and off. I was ordered to pay child support. Then the children were taken into DSS custody. When they are first taken by...

Non custodial parents rights to claim child at tax time? [ 2 Answers ]

I need some answers!! My child who is 8 yrs old was not in contact with his father until April 2007. My child never met this person until last year and now he thinks he has the right to claim my child at tax time. I have full custody of my child. What can I do about this situtation. I really am...

Termination of Parents rights and child support [ 7 Answers ]

My son's father has not had anything to do with him since he was born and he isn't paying any child support and he has never seen him or called me to ask about him or anything. He knows nothing about my son at all... and I was wondering if I were to get him for child support would he get visitation...

View more questions Search