Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ledwards5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Outdoor spigot spray when turned off
    I have anti-siphon frost proof spigots outside. I understand the purpose of those features, but am annoyed that whenever you turn off the water, with a hose attached, you get soaked with water spraying out from the spigot. I know that not all anti-siphon spigots are this way, as I used my neighbors and had no such problem. What can I do, other than to always turn off the water while the sprinkler is still turned on, which is not always practical?

THANKS!:)
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 01:44 PM

Where does it water spry from, and can you post a picture?

John

Oct 15, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Thanks for being willing to help. Sorry it took me so long to answer, but its been raining a lot in Seattle. Imagine!

It leaks around the faucet handle while the hose is running. When you stop the sprinkler and turn off the water, it sprays out around where the hose is attached to the spigot. It also leaks out the bottom of the spigot, but I gather that's what it is supposed to do.

I will try to attach a photo, too. THANKS

Oct 15, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Here is a photo
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 08:32 AM

The anti-siphon device is actually designed to spray. When it sprays it is doing its work: it is disallowing water from inside of your hose to enter your house plumbing.

It sprays because one of the 2 following reasons:

1. You leave hose under pressure when you turn it off- meaning, you have a nozzle on the end of the house that traps pressurized water inside the hose when spigot is turned off. Change the nozzle or remove it completely. Or, anytime you want to turn hose off - hold the nozzle in your hand with release handle pressed and turn spigot off at the same time.
    2. There are bugs inside the anti-siphon device disallowing the washer to make positive seal.. Remove it - if you can - and clean it.

In many cases, these anti-siphon devices need to be replaced, especially when they are old and rusty. They cannot be opened and repaired. Do visual inspection, see if it is rusty, calcified or damaged. Make decision accordingly...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor water spigot [ 9 Answers ]

Please help. Our outdoor spigot won't turn on. It is too tightly shut. I am afraid to force it lest it pull away from the house. Any suggestions? Would WD-40 help? Thanks Helen Ag

Outdoor spigot installing [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to install an outdoor wall spigot on the side of my mobile home. I want to run on end of some type of hose/pipe (use as main connection under home) to other side of my home for more convienence and so I can have a hole put into wall with spigot attatchment to use for hoses, turn water...

No water from outdoor spigot [ 1 Answers ]

We cannot get water form the outside facet but water is fine inside the house

Outdoor Leaking Spigot [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first time on this site. I have an older block-style Florida home in Bradenton, where the plumbing pipes are located within the walls. I have a leaking outdoor spigot that needs repairing badly. The spigot handle is circular and that is where the water is coming from. Is...

View more questions Search