Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bibler Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Cracks on shower floor tile grout
    I would just like to know how to go about fixing 2 short grout cracks on my shower floor. They are about 0.1cm thick and about 2.5 and 4 cm in length, right next to the floor tiles. What do I need to buy and can I simply put new grout on top of them or do I need to rip them out, then apply the new stuff?

Thanks in advance.
    suptclark Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Oct 13, 2009, 09:59 AM

Remove the damaged grout and replace it with new. A small area like this usually means there is no problem under the tile
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Oct 13, 2009, 03:07 PM
    If these cracked areas are where the tiled floor meets the walls or the curb, that should be caulked only and not caulked over grout... just an fyi.

Oct 13, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bljack View Post
    If these cracked areas are where the tiled floor meets the walls or the curb, that should be caulked only and not caulked over grout...just an fyi.
    No, they are just between floor tiles. Can I simply put grout over the crack or put caulking tape over it?
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Oct 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Nope, remove the grout to a depth of 1/8" or 2/3 the depth of the tile, whichever is greater for the new grout to have enough tooth to grab and adhere. Wondering why grout would come out, though. How old is this install?

Oct 14, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bljack View Post
    Nope, remove the grout to a depth of 1/8" or 2/3 the depth of the tile, whichever is greater for the new grout to have enough tooth to grab and adhere. Wondering why grout would come out, though. How old is this install?
    About 11 years. I have just spotted the cracks few days ago, as I was doing some caulking work.

Do I use sanded or unsanded grout. The bags says they are corrosive. Will that grout eat things away (skin)?
    suptclark Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Oct 14, 2009, 02:41 PM

Unsanded and yes wear gloves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing old floor tile grout [ 1 Answers ]

How can remove old floor grouting that was left on around the edges of the tiles, It's epoxy grouting.

Leaky shower floor tile grout in corners [ 6 Answers ]

My shower stall is tiled, floor, walls, and ceiling. For some time now I have noticed that the grout in two of the corners of the floor always looked darker than the rest. Last week I scraped out this grout and found it to be moist for about 3" in each horizontal section of the wall/floor area...

Fixing cracks in shower tile grout [ 1 Answers ]

I have some small cracks in a few (no more than 3-4) spots in the tile of my shower. It's an area where water will hit when showering quite frequently. Is it possible to patch these cracks or do I have to rip out all the grout and re-grout? We're going to redo the whole bathroom within the year...

Shower floor tile and grout remain wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2 marble slate flooring. After each shower I take an area of "wet looking" tile and grout expands. I read up on it and seem to think that the drain weep holes may be clogged but my contractor doesn't think so (but hasn't checked to see which would mean taking out the...

Shower tile floor and grout remains wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2s marble floor tile. Every time we take a shower an area of dark, wet looking tile and grout expands. Soon my entire floor will look that way. I've done some research and think that the drain weep holes may be clogged causing water accumulation to saturate my floor...

View more questions Search