Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chem90 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 03:55 PM
    Chem answer
    I not sure if I did it right, but I got 15.9. here is the question- If 40.0 grams of H3PO4 reacts with 60.0 grams of MgCO3 according to this reaction,
    2H3PO4 + 3MgCO3 —> Mg3 (PO4)2 + 3CO2 + 3H2O (already balanced)
    Then calculate the volume of carbon dioxide gas produced at STP.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Nov 2, 2006, 08:11 PM
    You're close, but not quite. I've gone through the math, and I know where you got your answer, so I can point to precisely where you went wrong.

Look at the number of moles of H3PO4 and MgCO3 you start with. You have just over 0.4 mol H3PO4 and just over 0.7mol MgCO3 (right?).

In the reaction given, the ratio of H3PO4 consumed to MgCO3 consumed is 2:3. That means to fully react 2 moles of H3PO4, it will require 3 moles of MgCO3. To fully react 0.4 moles of H3PO4, you need 0.6 moles of MgCO3. We have this much and more hanging around, so that means that the H3PO4 is the limiting reagent (or limiting reactant).

All of the H3PO4 will be used up, but not all of the MgCO3. So, you have to use the coefficients from the reaction equation to determine the ratio of CO2 produced to H3PO4 consumed, then multiply that number of moles by the magical 22.4 litres.

Also, be sure to include the units (litres) in your answer.

Good job otherwise, though!
    chem90 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Thank you so much dmatos!! That helped me a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need a answer please [ 3 Answers ]

I recently inherrited 6 etchings all 4" x 6" of woman wearing different hats maybe Paris or Europe woman . Just from their chest up. The woman look like they are from the 1920's or 30's on the back of each one is a silver seal saying genuine etching , Paris Etching Society the front a c in a...

In Need Of An Answer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Evelyn. I have in my possession a jukebox that may be an interest to a collector but I need to find out info on this jukebox. I have a serial & model numbers.How would I go about obtaining this information? Could you please help me? Thank You, flanjivfur :confused:

I have the answer! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, a little while ago I asked a desperate question about my GSD, Jack. Well I got talking to a dog trainer and she recommended me the electric shock collar. Well Jack has had one on ever since and he is fabulous. I had to use it quite severely at first, he probably got one every hour or so...

I Need An Answer Please! [ 5 Answers ]

I need an answer When ever me and my b/f are together he sometimes checks out other chicks I do sometimes but when he does it I feel insecure like he wants to be with a hotter chick than w/ me and its probably I'm jealous and I hate it because I check out other chicks to and he isn't like...

View more questions Search