Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    intrubs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 06:16 PM
    (In CA)If I move out one month shy of my lease, can the landlord collect double rent?
    I gave my 30 days notice to leave my apartment 1 month before my lease was up. The management co. agreed to it but demanded the last months rent be paid. Are they allowed to take my money for that month I won't even be there and then rent it out to someone and take their money for that month as well? In Oregon I know this is not legal but I need to check for CA.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 08:06 PM
    No, they're not entitled to collect double rent. If they are able to get a new tenant into the property for the entire last month of your term then they have to refund that rent payment to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Paid partial rent for first month, no lease, decided not to move in. [ 2 Answers ]

I gave landlord half a months rent in advance believing that I was going to move in. it was not intended to be a holding deposit. The landlord was a friend of a friend and the apartment had been empty for over a year. I did not know that the landlord had been actively trying to rent out the...

Private rent- what can landlord do if you don't pay last month of lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I had a private contract with my landlord and due to financial circunstances I had to leave the apartment 1 month before the year lease was due. For 11 months I paid everything on time, but could not afford the last month. I left the apartment and we verbally agreed that once my situation got...

Can my landlord collect double rent [ 3 Answers ]

My lease expires the end of this month, but we are leaving the 13th. Are we entitled to some of that rent back if they rent it before the end of the month? Also, how many days notice do you have to give to vacate in So carolina if your lease is up anyhow?

View more questions Search