Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KeithMorris Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Refrigeration Line Size for 5 Ton Air Conditioner
    I am in there process of replacing my 5 ton air conditioning unit. One of the contractors told me that my refrigeration line going into my outside unit is the incorrect size. He said I have a 7/8" line and this unit requires a 1 1/8" refrigeration line. What is the correct size of the refrigeration line I need for a 5 ton air conditioning unit?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 06:32 PM

What did the other contractors say? In some instances the suction line size needs to be increased, however, 7/8 will work, but you will loose efficiency with the 7/8(dont think it would amount to much). Lets see what HVAC1000 has to say about it. Is this a residential ac unit?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Without knowing all the exact details it is difficult to be accurate. Under normal circumstances a 7/8th's OD copper line would service a 5 ton unit BUT with the advent of today's high efficiency units it is a good possibility that your new system needs a 1 1/8th OD copper line. One thing you never want to do is cheat on the suction line sizing since the suction line provides the essential return of cool gas and system oil to keep the compressor motor windings from overheating along with controlling the precious compressor's oil temperature so there is less varnish breakdown on the motor windings over the life of the unit. To small of a suction line can shorten the compressor/units life expectancy.

In the install manual for the unit it usually gives a distance and height requirements for the system supply and return copper line sizes to operate properly. They need to be followed exactly. There is much more to the suction line sizing than posted here especially when it comes to suction traps etc but the information posted will get you going in the correct direction.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 06:45 PM
    How far is the line (how many feet) to the evaporater coil? Also what is the size at the connection of the condenser and at the evaporater?, if its 7/8, 1 inch, or whatever that is the size lineset you need,, unless its more than 50 feet distance that will make a difference
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Size of the fitting on the evaporator or condenser does not indicate correct line sizing. This is a common mistake in the trade. Now I will say under most circumstances you can get by with that size BUT you need to calculate lift,length, size,velocity,refrigerant type,just to name a few. These calculations are normally done by the manufacturer and included in the install instructions as the appropriate size for a given length so you do not have to do the math.

Oct 10, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    what did the other contractors say? In some instances the suction line size needs to be increased, however, 7/8 will work, but you will loose efficiency with the 7/8(dont think it would amount to much). lets see what HVAC1000 has to say about it. Is this a residential ac unit?
    This is a residential AC unit. The other contractors did not say anything about the 7/8" line being too small. Thanks for your response.

Oct 10, 2009, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Without knowing all the exact details it is difficult to be accurate. Under normal circumstances a 7/8th's OD copper line would service a 5 ton unit BUT with the advent of today’s high efficiency units it is a good possibility that your new system needs a 1 1/8th OD copper line. One thing you never want to do is cheat on the suction line sizing since the suction line provides the essential return of cool gas and system oil to keep the compressor motor windings from overheating along with controlling the precious compressor's oil temperature so there is less varnish breakdown on the motor windings over the life of the unit. To small of a suction line can shorten the compressor/units life expectancy.

In the install manual for the unit it usually gives a distance and height requirements for the system supply and return copper line sizes to operate properly. They need to be followed exactly. There is much more to the suction line sizing than posted here especially when it comes to suction traps etc but the information posted will get you going in the correct direction.
    Thank you for your input. I will research the installation manual.
    hsbstr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2011, 01:43 PM
    Hi Dear
    I am a hvac tech,I need your help to make a small absorption chiller about 5 ton for my house.Beacuse I am a technicion so I don't have good thiury,So dear can you Advoice me how I can calculate the air cooled condenser, evaporator,genrator and the quantity of amunia with water sulotion. I hope you will send me useful informations
    Thanking with best regards
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
    Before you guys get to deep into this question, NOTICE the question was published over 2 years ago
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 06:00 PM
    Don't worry wmproop. I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole. A little beyond my expertise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate size of air intake for air conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

We have replaced our air conditioner and it has a higher capacity than the old one. We were told to increase the size of our air intake, but I am not sure how they calculated the square footage (they told us to double the size). How do you calculate the proper size of the air intake? Any...

What size of air conditioner [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, My house is about 1350 sqf + about 450 sqf basement in Denver, CO. What size of central air conditioner should I install? Any brands that are reliable/recommended? What else should I look for when installing air-conditioner? If somebody can recommend a reliable contractor that in the area...

Air conditioner bracket size [ 2 Answers ]

As you know,different air conditioner has different width,so,I believe there must be has different air conditioner bracket size for air conditioner.I`d like to know in Europe,what`s width of different air conditioner?for example,9000BTU,12000BTU,what`s air conditioner bracket size it need? Thanks!...

Ice on line to air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a new member hoping that the experts can help me. Our home air conditioner stopped working on Saturday. When checking into the problem, we realized that the insulated line from the exterior unit was frozen all of the way to the interior unit. We shut down the air conditioner and allowed...

What size air conditioner for 1720 square feet home [ 2 Answers ]

What is the correct size trane air conditioner for my home of 1720 square feet ?

View more questions Search