Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stardust_x0 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 03:34 PM
    What is the best telescope?
    I am thinking of buying the Orion SpaceProbe 130ST EQ Telescope.

I was just wondering if anyone out there could let me know what the best telescope is to get. I am also considering price here, too, so I need something between one-five hundred dollars...

Anyone with information, please let me know what I should do!

Thanks!:confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 05:26 PM

I would check this site out:
    Meade Telescopes, Microscopes, Meade Instruments, Telescopes by Meade
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 03:18 PM

My son purchased a Meade 90AZ-ARD telescope D=90mm F=900mm. It's a refractor not a reflector and does not need an additional erecting prism mirror.

We paid about $200 for this out the door on the net. This is a non motorized scope. This is what you want. The motorized models are junk and don't last very long. Don't listen to salespeople about motorized scopes. He got on a website that explained that motorized scopes are not fixable and go bad sometimes right from the box.

This is a very new Meade product and is very highly rated.

He has all sorts of lenses 4mm through 40mm and has #2, #3 Barlows. This telescope is very well made and easily folded down for transport. The tripod extends out much higher than his previous model did.

You won't go wrong with this telescope.

Buy yourself a good compass and a star map. The pros don't use motorized scopes.

This Meade model is good for amateur and pro alike. It has slow motion tracking controls which smoothly track your object in the sky.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 04:08 PM

Little conused with twinkies response. The Sky is constantly moving. Tracking will stay on your object, tracking uses a Motor. I feel Motorized(Tracking) is the way to go. I may be missunderstanding Her, or something?
    If you Have Google Earth, click on SkyMode, and type in your object, it will show where its place is in the stars.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 05:13 PM

Google Earth is ustterly unless. Buy a NightWatch book by Terrence Deckinson about $29. In the back of the book it has star charts for all the seasons. Use a compass and a red lens flashlight. My son does just fine. The knobs you refer to are for slow tracking when the objects move in the sky. No motorization required. When the motors go out your scope is useless and you end up with a very expensive paperweight.

Look up motorized telescope problems and you'll get lots of folks complaining about condensation and high battery usage in the winter. You can also get junk scopes that cannot be ever set as they come messed up from the factory.

If you want a really good scope buy a $500 Dobsonian mounted Newtonian Reflector. These telescopes offer the best combination at a modest price.

Check out Sky and Telescope.com. In the forums section ask your question there. Or look for other astronomy sites that have forums.

I just put what works best for my kid.

Also, your light pollution has a lot to do with what type of telescope you can or cannot use.

The Meade that I mentioned works well with light pollution that's why I bought it for my son.

Most of the time he uses a 2X Barlow with a 15mm lens. Sometimes he uses a 3X Barlow with 25mm and he can see pretty much what he wants to even in deep space. He has lots of light pollution here and he never has complained once he got this Meade of not being able to get deep space objects.

You need to remember that just the telescope alone is not the entire picture in viewing the sky. You need Barlow lenses to help boost your lens power enabling you to view far away objects.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 08:47 AM

I have to disagree with Twinkie, With GoogleEarth, Skyview, you can type in Saturn, Orions Nebula, or whatever, and you can view for FREE. Get the Book she mentions, on the site she mentions, there is also a Star Chart Book for $35 on that site, Get that as well, I never have a problem with FREE, I like many sources, than just 1 book. Plus you can check out the Sky when it is Cloudy?
    IMO
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 26, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Hi! Twinkie,

Although, a motorized scope is not necessary, it is an advantage when preforming astrophotography.

K
    stardust_x0 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses! I appreciate your time! =) I've decided to purchase the telescope I asked about, so when it gets here, I will probably most some more questions for all you out there who are far more experienced than I when it comes to viewing the beautiful night sky!
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 03:15 PM

I'm sure you've been to their site:
    Orion Telescopes & Binoculars: Buy Online & Save! - Telescope.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The first telescope [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 6 years old. He loves astronomy so much. What is the most suitable telescopes for him? Is it 30mm, 50mm, orbigger one?

'ALDI' reflector telescope [ 5 Answers ]

In the UK Aldi and Lidl often offer cheap refractor and reflector telescopes, complete simple sets with tripod and additional lens sets. My grandson was recently offered one, which strongly seems to represent a 700 new 'Big Seben' telescope for only BP 30,00 (US$ 42,00). Has anyone here any...

Buying a telescope [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that gaze at the stars? I’m looking into buying a telescope so I can start a new hobby. So what I want to know is what is one of the best and inexpensive telescopes on the market?

Built my own telescope [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best book out that gives you good details on how to build your own telescope?

Kind of telescope [ 5 Answers ]

What kind of telescope to purchase for my family to observe our solar system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View more questions Search