Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Craig Davids Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Learning dissability
    I want to know how to let my kid concentrate and start to enjoy studying. He is in grade 10 and done very bad the past term. He is more interested in being on the streets instead of sitting with his books to improve his grades.
    Your advise would be appreciated

Regards
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 2, 2006, 01:12 PM
    I don't think this qualifies as a learning disability, unless he has been diagnosed with one and you did not tell us.

I think it takes strong parenting skills to keep the kid in. Do you give him too much freedom?
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 2, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Show him that there is incentive in studying, concentrating on school and in. No 10th grader, or any student will enjoy their studytime unless they know that somehow it will payoff academically and otherwise. Start breaking out the tough love, it will eventually sink in.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 16, 2006, 09:14 AM
    What you have is a child at risk not a child with a learning disability... so here is a check list that is used by educational institution in the United States... source: Manuel for the Child Behavior Checklist [1991]

• Acts to young for age
    • Behaves likes opposite sex
    • Cannot sit still; restless’ hyperactive
    • Cruel to animals
    • Destroys his or her own things
    • Doesn’t get along with kids
    • Fears going to school
    • Feels worthless or inferior
    • Hears sounds or voices that are not there
    • Nervous , high strong, or tense
    • Too fearful or anxious
    Ratings 0 meaning not true as far as you know
    Rating 1 meaning so what or sometimes true
    Rating 2 very true or often true
    • Demonstrates a sense of belonging to family
    • Excepts a hug
    • Acknowledges painful feeling
    • Uses anger management skills
    • Interacts positively with parents
    • Loose a game gracefully
    • Express affection for others
    • Pay attention in class
    Rate 0 not at all like the child
    Rate 1 not much like the child
    Rate 2 like the child
    Rate 3 very much like the child

*Now you have a base to start a line of communication with your child... for here is a system to identify potent - ional problems and... you need to discuss these issues with educational professional (teachers, principals etc... ) and representatives... again... there is not a disability nor have you identified a learning disability... just a challenge... for an at risk child...

Technical assessments for example are Behavior and Emotional Rating Scales (BERS)... this scale is used by some educational professional (teachers, principals etc... ) and their representative to rate the strength of the child or the youth in your case in areas including interpersonal strength, intrapersonal strength, involvement with family, how well does he function in school and affective and emotional strength... these approaches will help in determining the youth’s strengths and difficulties... your answer cannot be effectively addressed in one sitting... so a conversations with his teachers and if not satisfied go over the heads... but keep with your child’s process in school and at home...
    SpecialEd Posts: 30, Reputation: 6

Jan 1, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Davids
    I want to know how to let my kid concentrate and start to enjoy studying. He is in grade 10 and done very bad the past term. He is more interested in being on the streets instead of sitting with his books to improve his grades.

Regards
    See if he can be placed in the front 2 rows in his classrooms. It will prevent unnecessary distractions from allowing boredom to overcome him and perhaps involve him more in the learning process. Also, learning is a discipline that reading supports nicely.
    hamilsmith Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Allot of parents make a big mistakenow a days they become a friend instead of a parent to their child I don't no because they are afraid of the syustem or what I have a feeling that is what your doing. That is not a learning disability that is laziness in its purist form no child wants to do work in high school you have to make them want to do it and then if they still don't want to do it its not your problem allways remind your child that its his/her life to mess up all you can do is point him/her in the right direction
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Maybe this is a case of the closing the barn door after the horse is out. Parenting is a tough job. Teaching your child to respect the education sysem starts in kindergarten, and truth be told, it takes good teachers as well. What kind of high school is he in ? Is he learning a trade or his/your intentions are for college? Can you not get him in a trade school where he will learn something useful? I know you are probably tearing your hair out by now, but stay firm with him.
    erbarnha Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Apr 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
    I really don't think this is a learning disability either, but I do agree that there is a problem. Im a college student going in to teaching. I was the same way in school as your son. High school doesn't really offer kids too much reward or motivation to do well. What I think might help him with his motivation problem and possibly get him thinking about his future is for you and him to take a tour of one of your local colleges be it community or State. Tours are free and you learn a lot, about admission, financial aide, and other requirements. If he has a close friend (that you trust) then maybe he could invite him to come along too, so its not so awkward for him. You would be surpised how naïve teens are about the transition from college from high school. It might spark an interest academically. Also be firm with him designate homework time then allow him to see his friends afterwards. He needs his downtime too, but he must learn to be disaplined (the earlier the better, it will help if he goes to college).
    kitten harr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 02:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Davids

Regards
    Hi Craige,
    I myself have a lerning disability and it consisted of beinging unable to enjoying studying but I find that when people go through with others it helps but time to me is a nassity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm learning [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I've just started wrestling and I'm not the best any advice

Learning disorder [ 3 Answers ]

I was always had a hard time learning. I had real hard time concentrating, words disappear while I'm reading books with white backgrounds, and it's real frustrating. I just recently got glasses Can anyone recommend ANYTHING to improve and comprehention? I have to tell you that high school...

Learning Polish [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of some online learn Polish courses that are free, for people who speak English? Also, does anyone know of any INTERESTING learn Polish courses or books that are not accessed over the internet and you pay for (ie. I don't want to pay for course that is accessed only on the net)? ...

Three dachshunds learning to get along [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my dachshund situation at home. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on getting three dachshunds to live in harmony. Two days ago we brought in a precious girl rescue dachshund to join our two boy dachshunds. The girl is about nine years old and is a...

Distance learning [ 1 Answers ]

helllo... I have newly joined this group... I am a computer engineer done my B.E. in computer science and presently working in Hindustan Aernautics Limited in Kanpur as IT engineer. I am interested in Learning more about the distance learning programe in IT which has got good market value and...

View more questions Search