Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 12:21 PM
    Judment
    As power of attorney for a person who was in debt. We were taken to court for her debt. But we as the power of attorney were the ones that were sued. We live in ontario canada and according to the ontario government. We do not assume a persons debts when we become power of attorney. We have had a judgment placed against us but nothing was ever resolved in court it was resolved outside of court as the judge stated. My question is this the judgment has been placed against us in the credit bureau how do we get rid of it since it was not our debt but the other persons.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Hello mlb:

Well, somebody got something resolved in court, or they wouldn't have a judgment. You need to go back to THAT court and reopen the case. I think you need the services of an attorney.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2006, 07:24 AM
    This doesn't make sense. Therefore I strongly suspect there is more that you are not telling us. It may be because you are not aware of it, but there has to be more to this.

A Power of Attorney simply allows someone to act as the agent for someone else in a legal matter. I totally agree that a POA would not make you liable for anyone else's debts. Therefore, there is NO way a court should have handed down a judgement against you on that basis. That means there has to be something else involved for the court to have awarded this judgement.

I agree that you need an attorney to explain to you what really happened and what you can do about it.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Maybe the person looking to collect lied and said YOU owed them the debt.

Who knows, it all sounds a bit fishy.

Contact a lawyer, who can best assist you further in this matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Consent and final judment [ 5 Answers ]

Recently my ex-girlfriend sighned a Consent Final Judgment of Paternity Custody,Support and Visitaion papers that I had my lawyer make.The qustion I have is now that she has sighned it she is starting to regret and might try to fight it,could she get custody even if she has sighned this...

View more questions Search