Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dessaml Posts: 210, Reputation: 9

Oct 10, 2009, 01:11 AM
    Loss of sex drive, should I try drugs?
    I'm 21 years old and I have been with my boyfriend for 2.5 years and I love him a lot and we have a good relationship. I was on depo for 2 years and it slaughtered my labido. I used to always be in the mood and now its just gone. I also have mirena IUD which I want removed because its not helping either, and then to add I was on antidepressant, so I hasd a labido killing bimb go off in my body... But that is over and done with and has been for a number of years. Is there any kind of drugs that may help? testosterone cream, estrogen cream...some kind of pill? I keep looking for an answer and I keep getting all these damn responses like "You and your parnter need to do more foreplay, maybe you're stressed, get more sleep, try communicate with your partner, maybe he's not the one, try different positions, try toys, try warming lube, see a therapist" etc etc blah blah blah, been there don't that. It's not in my head and it none of the other stuff, been there done that!. I'm just so frusterated because I want to have sex, I would do it 3xs a day if it were physically possible but my body has a hard time responding to stimuli... like it WANTS to... but the chemicals and juices so to speak can't get flowing... even though my mind is... Any advice? Doesn't the high levels of progestin decrease estrogen or something, maybe that's why I have no sex drive or maybe it has affected the testosterone as well?

More of the information I find on low sex drive is for woman with menopause:(
    I'm only 21
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 09:58 AM

Have you spoken to your doctor?

Get a full phyiscal checkup done,including bloods and hormone levels.

Are your periods regular?

Oct 10, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    have you spoken to your doctor?

get a full phyiscal checkup done,including bloods and hormone levels.

are your periods regular?
    Because of the mirenda and depo I don't have a period, haven't had one in AGES. I plan on getting my hormones tested but I have been reading about Androgel might help, its testosterone.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2009, 02:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dessaml View Post
    Because of the mirenda and depo I dont have a period, havent had one in AGES. I plan on getting my hormones tested but I have been reading about Androgel might help, its testosterone.
    I'd be getting the tests done before starting to take any drugs... you doctor will need to PRESCRIBE something anyway, don't go self prescribing medication, and especially don't go buying things off the internet.
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Oct 14, 2009, 02:27 AM

Try taking Maca dessaml. Maca is an herb and I have used it before, but for another reason, and one of the side effects is it increases your sex drive. I felt this effect while I was taking it. Google Maca and see if this might be an option for you because its an herb and its safe and I too was on Depo but only for 3 months, and I had to stop because it pushed out my acne, but it didn't really kill my sex drive. Depo should be used for no more than 1-2 years at a time, then you need to take a break from it because it can actually make you infertile for a long time, not that you're trying to have a baby at 21! Lol but just thought you should know. Anyway I ALSO used Mirena and took it out after like 6 months, but no decrease in sex drive on that either. I guess Im just always horny lol but seriously you probably have a hormone imbalance. Your obgyn or endocrinologist can give you something to balance your hormones again, and maybe that will kick your sex drive back in, but honestly BLAME IT ON THE DEPO because Depo is NOTORIOUS for decreasing sex drive and the effects are probably still in your system after using it for so long. Also there is something over the counter called Goat Weed that increased sex drive.

Oct 14, 2009, 02:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itss A New Day View Post
    Try taking Maca dessaml. Maca is an herb and I have used it before, but for another reason, and one of the side effects is it increases your sex drive. I felt this effect while I was taking it. Google Maca and see if this might be an option for you because its an herb and its safe and I too was on Depo but only for 3 months, and I had to stop because it pushed out my acne, but it didnt really kill my sex drive. Depo should be used for no more than 1-2 years at a time, then you need to take a break from it because it can actually make you infertile for a long time, not that you're trying to have a baby at 21! lol but just thought you should know. Anyways I ALSO used Mirena and took it out after like 6 months, but no decrease in sex drive on that either. I guess Im just always horny lol but seriously you probably have a hormone imbalance. Your obgyn or endocrinologist can give you something to balance your hormones again, and maybe that will kick your sex drive back in, but honestly BLAME IT ON THE DEPO because Depo is NOTORIOUS for decreasing sex drive and the effects are probably still in your system after using it for so long. Also there is something over the counter called Goat Weed that increased sex drive.
    I have heard of Maca but I didn't think it worked, I read mixed reviews. How many mg did you take?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:44 AM

True, Depo can mess with your libido, majorly!
    However, I'm still voting for the hormone levels to be tested before wasting money on herbal pills.
    They might work for some people but if you have severe problems with a hormone imbalance then they are going to do diddly squat.

Oct 14, 2009, 02:50 AM
    I have heard of Maca but I didnt think it worked, I read mixed reviews. how many mg did you take?
    Let me go check my bottle its been a while brb... I have 525 mg. capsules from Solaray. I took to a day I think? Maybe 3?

Oct 14, 2009, 03:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itss A New Day View Post
    Let me go check my bottle its been a while brb...I have 525 mg. capsules from Solaray. I took 2 a day I think? maybe 3?
    Cool thanks!:D

Oct 14, 2009, 02:12 PM
    cool thanks!:D
    I hope you get results, either way let me know what worked for you
    ullrs_echo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 12:34 PM
    I have the same problem and I am only 22 years old... I honestly thought I was alone on this because like you I was on Depo from 12 years old until I was 17 years old. I never had a period until I was 20 but after two periods I got pregnant and now it's been a little over a year since giving birth and it is really hurting my relationship because I just can't get my body going. A couple of days ago I went to get the copper IUD thinking maybe it's the stress of not wanting another baby right now. After the IUD I mentioned my sex drive to the nurse practitioner and she gave me the name of this anti depressant that would help. She wrote it down for me but ironically my daughter got a hold of it and ate it!! If I remember right it started with a "M". I've been searching for an hour now on the internet but can't find anything about it. Only stuff for "older" women.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loss Deduction: Can a loss from an inherited residence be deducted for taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

Loss deduction: Can a loss from the sale of inherited property be deducted for federal taxes?

Loss of sex drive? [ 13 Answers ]

Hey, I may be having a serious problem? I'm only 19 and I think I'm losing it. Last night I was with a girl, we've only been together for a few weeks. But I can't seem to keep an erection long enough for her to bring my to a climax. I believe this is because I don't masturbate very often, once or...

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

Loss of drive [ 6 Answers ]

What can be happening to my body at 30 where I don't feel the desire to perform sex acts with my fiance'?

Loss Of Sex Drive [ 3 Answers ]

Okay well I am 21 and lately I haven't been able to get it up for me and my girlfriend to have sex. I don't know what the proplem is. Is there any way that I can fix this? I love her and she is gorgeous and I just can't get it every time she touches it or rubs up against me naked. What can I do?

View more questions Search