Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albinonerd13 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 10, 2009, 12:36 AM
    I'm writing a comedic screenplay.
    I'm writing the screenplay for a comedy that I came up with the concept for. Basically, it's about a boy who's a junior in high school and he's pretty awkward and unsuccessful with women, but then a macho man named Vincent Jones (who is actually just a figment of his imagination) comes into his life to coach him and make him knowledgeable in the ways of the world. I've written some funny scenes, but there are a couple concerns. The first one is that I don't think the first few scenes are funny enough... I want to set it up to be a comedy, but the first few scenes are just the same awkward banter between the protagonist and his friends. There are a couple funny moments, but the beginning isn't funny as a whole. Also, I feel like I rushed into the main storyline. So basically, how do I make the beginning funnier, and how do I stretch it out more? Any type of answer is appreciated.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 12:53 AM
    Hi, albinonerd13!

Would you like to share any of what you've written on this thread? There would be those of us who would be willing to take a look at it and give you some advice as to how you might make improvements to it.

If you wouldn't like what you've written directly exposed on the thread, you could attach what you've written in a document format of some kind to a post.

Thanks!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:37 PM

Good advice so far.

Another thing would be to read it out loud. It's amazing how often something that looks one way on the paper is completely different when you hear it out loud. Try reading it to some children and see how they react.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Hi, Eileen G!

That was an excellent idea about reading it out loud! Things can take on a different perspective that way.

Thanks!
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 10, 2009, 03:26 PM

Consider Homer Simpson!

A character must be understood so when the humour is laid out, the meaning is understood.

We know homer is awkward with women, to the point where stupidty takes on a whole new meaning.

But it is knowing and understanding his life that we feel connected to him

An underdog in every sense of world - a man who last if ever in the line when character was being handed out

And through it all we all love and cherish the moments when he comes out with lines like

"I do not apologise for my behaviour - I am sorry that is just the way I am" !

The point is - have considered that sadness and sorrow must bestow a character so the laughter can be seen for what it is

Or have just watched way too many simpsons :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my screenplay produced? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the process of writing a screenplay. I think it has the potential to be very good and am looking to find a producer or ways to go about producing the screenplay into a film. Can anyone help?

Getting a screenplay noticed [ 1 Answers ]

Hey experts I am a beginner with writing screenplays (and using computers... I'm not young, just late to join the rat race), but I have been told I describe good ideas for movies. Who do I ask to know how to shop a screenplay without it getting stolen? Should I be pestering lawyers? I guess the...

How does one start to write a screenplay? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a ton of idea's. But don't know where to start on the subject.

Screenplay - Seizing property [ 2 Answers ]

I need some guidance on this for my screenplay. Thanks for reading and if anyone can help, great. Here's the situation: My character, a police detective, believes that an antiques dealer is trafficking in stolen property. He is able to confirm that this is in fact the case. There are some...

Screenplay: Police Ask for ID [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing a screenplay. Here's the situation, and the legal question(s) that arise from it. I have a character who is suspected of art theft. He has not been charged. It turns out he is out of town. A police detective, who has come to question him questions a neighbor who lives in the same...

View more questions Search