Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bolson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 05:26 PM
    1099 for Parnerships and LLC
    Are Parnerships and LLC companies 1009able in the state of California?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2009, 01:54 AM

What do you mean, are they 1099able in CA? That's a federal form. Whether they need sent, or what you need to do with them if you get them, depends on what is on them. There are 1099's for all sorts of things. The question is a bit ambiguous.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Oct 11, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Adding a "ditto" to Morgaine's good response, there are a number of 1099 forms, each addressing a different issue. Even the ubiquitous 1099-MISC handles different reporting issues by itself.

But if you're referring to the commonly-incurred "payments for services rendered" issue, the general rule is that you are to issue a 1099MISC to any unincorporated individual or business for services they render to your business, if you pay them at least $600 in a calendar year for such services.

One tweak to the general rule is that you send a 1099 to a law firm for legal services rendered, whether it's incorporated or not.

As Morgaine pointed out, all the foregoing are federal / IRS requirements, and the state in which you're located is a non-factor. As to any additional requirements that CA might have, check in with CA's revenue department here Franchise Tax Board Homepage

Oct 12, 2009, 12:53 PM

I guess my question should have been, are Partnerships and LLC entities considered Corporations, and therefore would not receive a 1099 at the end of the year.

Oct 12, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Partnerships and LLCs are not considered corporations, and generally you must issue 1099s to those types of entities--subject to the following:

I believe I've heard that if an LLC has elected to be treated as a corporation for tax purposes, you would not have to issue a 1099. First, I'm not at all sure about that... I'll let someone who has a better scoop field this one.

Second, if that LLC-as-a-corporation exception is true, that places the burden on the 1099 issuer to determine if in fact the LLC has a valid "treated as a corporation" election in place.

Remember, there's no penalty for issuing a 1099 when you didn't have to, but there is a penalty for not issuing one when you should.

Oct 12, 2009, 02:44 PM

OK, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the info!

Oct 12, 2009, 02:51 PM
    On that point, I know a number of companies who just have their software spit out 1099s to all the vendors to whom payments have been made during the year, 'cause that's a whole lot easier than going through the vendor list one by one to figure who's a corporation and who isn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 1099-A be used on Form 982 or MUST it be 1099-C [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! There are conflicting answers even within this forum. I have received a 1099-A for a home I foreclosed on in 2008. On my 1099-A Box 2: Principle Outstanding balance is less that Box 4: FMV. Here is what I would like clarity on please: 1. How do I handle or What form do I use...

1099 income with no 1099 form [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file my taxes with out a 1099 form? How can I get one? Thank you

1099 instead of a W2 [ 2 Answers ]

I have just excepted a job where I will be getting a 1099 instead of W2. My question is how do I figure the amount of money to put aside for taxes each week?

1099 or W2 [ 3 Answers ]

If you have already filed a W2 for an employee that is no longer with you, can you issue a 1099 for equipment (laptop) that they took with them? Also, can you charge them mileage on a vehicle?

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

View more questions Search