Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Here's the route I'm taking in the USMC.
    To Whomever's got military experience.

I am a Marine Reserve. The job I picked was infantry assaultman. I leave for bootcamp in November for 3 months. I then come home for 10days. I leave again for Infantry Training Batallion for 2 months. When I come back I apply for Platoon Leaders Course. I will go to school while being an E-3. I will do Officer Candidate School next summer for 10 weeks. After I complete OCS. Then I foucus on finishing school. Once I finish school I will be a commissioned officer. 2nd Lt. to be exact. Is there anything else I need to know or should look into.

Rick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 05:05 PM

Yep, get past basic,

And of course have the mental attitude for the training you are taking on.

And once you get that first bar on the shoulder, don't forget it is the First Sgt that really runs things, make him your friend and you life will be happy.
    Networking Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 05:25 PM

Basic? TBS?

Rick
    heyineedhelp2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Oct 27, 2009, 09:15 PM

Why don't you just do active duty right now instead of reserve. The country needs u.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 07:59 AM

Thank you for serving your country from an old US Navy Seabee.
    I'm sure you realize that orders can change very easily in the military. You said you can apply for Platoon Leadership training. What will be the determining criteria? Is the total plan in writing?
    The senior enlisted personnel are vital but you will have been schooled and trained for a reason and as an officer you will be responsible for the mission and must not be reluctant to lead. You had the courage to take the first steps and I think you will build on that at every level. Stay safe and God Bless You and the USA.
    Networking Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 06:17 PM

The determining criteria to get into the PLC is a few things. First of all your ASVAB score. Your score must be 74 or higher. (I obtained higher than a 74 so I'm good there)

The second is your PT score. I was told a 22:00 minute 3 mile, 15-18 pullups, and 85-100 situps would be a good qualifier.

Thanks fr your input!
    Networking Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 06:22 PM
    And to whomever asked why I don't just enlist and not go reserves. If you read the post then it will explain why I didn't.

I'm sorry but are u in the military?

Rick

Oct 28, 2009, 09:40 PM

No I am not in the military but my husband is a Marine and he's deploying in Jan. I was not trying to be smart or put down what your doing I just didn't understand why you were going in as a reservist. I have been in this a long time and I know just to join you have to be strong.
    Networking Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 11:20 PM

I guess I am questioning your reasoning of asking me such a ridiculuous question. I; neither, am trying to be mean but I am not lying when I say I felt your comment was rude and misinformed.

My reason for joiing the reserves compared to the enlistment side is clearly stated in the original post. But I will clear it up for you since my original post must not have did the trick.

I am educated, therefore I am seeking more out of the Marines then just shooting people. I seek educational opportunities, career opportunities among experience and comrodary. I decided that with the education I already have and my physical presence I had a good chance at becoming an Officer and skipping all E-level ranks once commissioned.

Hopefully this clears things up.

I am not trying to be disrespectful, its quite the contrary actually. I respect you and your family. I hope you and your husband the best of luck. But in the same breath I want to explain that asking a reservist why he/she didn't go enlisted is rude and demeaning. Like it's not good enough. So next time, before you ask why I didn't go enlisted. I shall ask you why didn't you?

Best Regards
    Rick

Oct 28, 2009, 11:26 PM

Fair enough. Good luck in all you do and I hope all your plans work out like you want them too. If you have any questions and would like to ask someone you can contact me and I will help you all that I can. Thanks and Good luck
    LostInHisEyez Posts: 130, Reputation: 15

Nov 1, 2009, 01:26 PM

How are you going to be an E3? Not unless you were contract PFC because you need time and grade with all the stuff. Unless you get honor grad-or met. Promoted too.
    Networking Expert

Nov 1, 2009, 08:25 PM

Because I've got my degree already. At least that's what I am told. It doesn't matter anyway because I will only be a reservist for a short period. Once I am done with Bootcamp and ITB then I will do the PLC program which switched everything up for me so rank as of right now means absoltuley nothing.

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking about joining the USMC. [ 2 Answers ]

It's something that's always been in the back of my head. I've always wanted to and seeing that my entire family is or was aprt of the U.S. Military it only seems more right. I have hit a point in my life where I need some change, I want to excel from a personal standpoint. Learn new things, do new...

Florida Divorce/USMC in Iraq [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend just got divorced January 19, 2007 in FLORIDA, he is a US Marine that has been put threw the ringer, He is in Iraq right now so I'm trying to help him out. In his "final judgment of dissolution of marriage" it states specifically: Pursuant to the Marital Settlement Agreement,The...

View more questions Search