Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Oct 9, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Buying a Sewing Machine
    I think I want to buy my girlfriend a sewing new sewing machine for christmas. The one she has now is nice but she has mentioned a few times she wishes she had a metal one so that she can sew things like jeans and other tough/thick material.

When I searched for metal sewing machines, all I found were ones that looked old and vintage and wasn't sure if I was mistaken about what she said.

If anyone can shed some more light or info on this, that would be really helpful.

Thanks

EDIT: also, how good are computerized ones?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 05:11 PM

Stay away from the computerized ones as they are a headache waiting to happen and seldom work for very long.

I started sewing on a sewing machine at age 12 and had the same Brother sewing machine until I was 50. Yep. It was a portable table model that had a hard protective case to it. I could sew anything even leather and jeans with no problem. Sadly, that machine is no longer made but I did learn something from that experience - the simpler the model, the longer it will last the user.

I've had girlfriends who owned the new fancy models and they worked for a month and then quit and cost a fortune to be reparied.

The simpler the machine, the better. I recently purchased another portable sewing machine as I moved cross country and could not take my trusty Brother model with me. I bought a plain jane model that does have some fancy stitches to it but it is not computerized. Works just fine even sewing jeans.

The trick to sewing jeans is to use a thicker needle and go slow. Same with leather. Don't let her trick you into getting a newer, bigger, more expensive machine just to sew jeans with as you will be throwing your money away with both hands. Get the heavy duty needles instead.

Buy her something else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Value of sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

What is the value of a Montgomery Ward, Model R, Serial # C 05 NS-1120 sewing machine?

Sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know when this was made and what the value is. New century sewing machine model #ac55547. Thanks for any info.

Sewing paper on cloth on a sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

Any hints on how to successfully sew crêpe paper onto sheer cloth? I am making angel wings for a pageant and the needle keeps cutting right through the paper. What I have gotten done is beautiful and light weight so I know this is the right combination but it is taking more time than I...

Value of Raymond Sewing Company Foot Pedal Sewing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I am in possession of a Raymond Company foot pedal operated Sewing machine and I am wondering roughly what it may be worth. I believe it is from the late 1800's.

View more questions Search