Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2004, 09:24 AM
    Cat's eyes and reaction to chemicals in the eye
    Yesterday I was cleaning my cat's ears with a special ear cleaner I bought at a pet supply store. She shook her head before I had a chance to massage the cleaner into her ears. The cleaning solution flew all over and she ended up getting it into her eyes. She started meowing and running all over the house. I grabbed a towel and wiped off her face and her eyes. She sat for awhile with her eyes closed. Afterwards she appeared to be okay. Then late last night she began pacing and circling my head while I slept meowing as she went. She did not sleep at all last night (which is very unusual for her) and she has been extremely clingy to me this morning. I am concerned some damage may have been done to her eyes. Looking at her eyes they look bright and clear. These are the ingredients to the ear cleaner if that helps... Water, Propylene Glycol, Malic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Benzoic Acid.

Christine
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Apr 6, 2004, 07:48 PM
    Cat's eyes and reaction to chemicals in the ey
    Hello,

It doesn't look like any of those ingredients could damage your cat's eyes especially in such a small amount.

The crying and circling might be caused from something else.

Have you ever cleaned her ears before?

Maybe the cleaner in the eyes was very traumatic for her?

Is there a medical reason you are cleaning her ears?

Does she get stressed out easily?

Some cats are very high strung and if the whole "cleaner in the eyes" episode really upset her, this could be why she is feeling needy right now.

Try using some Feliway spray to calm her (available through vets and pet supply stores) or use some Bach Flower: Rescue Remedy (available at local health food stores) in her water.

If she were going to have a reaction to the ear cleaner her eyes would most likely be swollen, teary, and reddened. She would also probably be rubbing at them a lot.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding chemicals [ 1 Answers ]

I need step by step instruction on adding chemicals to a 36" high inflatable pool. I don't know where to start after filling the pool.

My cat's is bleeding [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it bleeding??

Toxic chemicals and pets [ 4 Answers ]

Recently my wife sprayed her hair with Aqua Net unsented hair spray extra super hold. She was unaware that our dog was in the bathroom with her. The spray got into the dogs nose and it started caughing and gaging. Within 10 minutes the dog started seizing and convulsing. The spray contains the...

Cat's behavior [ 3 Answers ]

We just recently moved to another state, taking our only cat with us. The house we moved into already had 2 other cats and a dog. My cat is adjusting surprisingly well with the other cats, going up to them and trying to get friendly, but the other cats just hiss and growl, and they even throw...

View more questions Search