Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2009, 11:34 AM
    To tweet or not to tweet? Or are we all just twits?
    Ok, I need someone to explain Twitter to me. I don't think I get it. I have about 130 people (twits?) "following" me on Twitter and I've never tweeted!

As I understand Twitter, you use a computer, phone or other web enabled device to send tweets. Then somehow the people following you will get notified that you tweeted and then they can read your tweets or are your tweets automatically sent to them? Or what?

And how do you post a tweet? Do you send it to a specific address? How do you know what address? I set up a Twitter account over a year ago, but don't think I've used it.

And WHY would someone want to follow me? I mean I know I'm brilliant and erudite and all that (I was going to add handsome, but why would that matter in tweeting?) ;) But I just don't get it.

I mean I can understand why people might follow a celebrity. I can see using twitter for road warriors to keep the home office up to date. But for everyday people?? What am I missing here?

Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn I can understand, but Twitter just baffles me. So please, someone, anyone, justify why I should Tweet or why I should be following anyone on Twitter. One of my issues is that Microsoft is using Twitter in a big way with the launch of Win 7 and I need to be involved in that. So I really need to get up to stream on this baffling (at least to me) technology.

I also have to start thinking about blogging. I guess I should somehow add a blog to my Web site or participate in one of several blog sites I have access to (as an MVP I think I get some free blog space). So I guess I can link my site to that. Apparentlly there are people who would value my opinion on things like Win 7 or tips on using Access or why Joba should be a reliever and not a starter (well maybe not that). I know as a self proclaimed Geek I should know this stuff, but...

Maybe the answers to this thread will help other people wrestling with these new avenues of communication as well as yours truly. Or maybe I should have just posted this as a blog!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 11:37 AM
    You go to your personalized Twitter page (log in from the main page) and send tweets from there. There are ad-on apps for Firefox and IPhones to simplify it. Your tweet automatically gets sent to all your followers. Those who don't follow you can still see all your tweets by going to your page.

Can't justify it because I think it's dumb. :) I'm OK with Facebook Status Updates though.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Ok, I need someone to explain Twitter to me....And WHY would someone want to follow me?
    I really want to know what you had for lunch and if you enjoyed it. And how the weather is where you live. And if your pen ran out of ink.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 12:07 PM
    http://www.901am.com/2007/the-top-5-...e-twitter.html
    Are you smart? ;)

I have tried reading a few tweets of others trying to understand what it meant, but it just confuses me.
    Maybe those who are following or tweeting each other know what it is about.

I think blogging is a way better option than twittering, don't take my word for it, I am ignorant of what twitter actually does. :)

As a layperson I don't think I will have enough tweets in 24 hours or even 48 hours to keep a crowd interested.
    But you Scott has the chance to update others on techno stuff,maybe even endorse new products, or share your latest discoveries (I hope you do realise that you are a celebrity of your field ? :D)

summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 9, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Hi,
    Check some of these Twitter info vids out!

Click here: YouTube - Twitter in Plain English

Click here: YouTube - How To Use Twitter

Click here: YouTube - How To Use Twitter For Business

Click here: YouTube - Twitter ? - Why is Twitter Called a Threat to Google?

Click here: YouTube - What Is Twitter?

Now go have some fun! :D:rolleyes::p!!!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 04:18 AM

I think the 'twit' part sums up twitter really well...

I'll stick with Facebook, there aren't as many stupid updates by people (ie: I just went to the toilet) plus you can open an actual 'chat' with people (msn style) rather than just posting status updates. On TOP off that, you can add pictures, videos etc, play games and make groups for people to join.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 11:19 AM

Totally unrelated, but is your PM In box full, Scott?

morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 01:00 AM

Don't feel bad. I don't have a clue what a twitter is, nor a tweet. I know who Tweetie is. :p

I don't even get into Facebook, let alone twittering. I mean really, do people really want to know every detail about what someone is doing all day? Don't they have anything better to do? That just gives me the total willies. It's like stalking or something. It's bad enough that I meet people who have to text every second cause they don't understand the concept of being alone for 10 whole minutes. (I don't even have a cell phone. When I'm gone, I'm gone, leave me alone.)

What's with the Win7 thing? Please tell me that isn't something that's going to already be set up. Not that I was planning on getting it - not until I just can't get something to work with XP. Hopefully that won't be until Win12 or something.

And you don't "need" a blog. If you want to share your knowledge, what's wrong with a plain old web page where you just stick the info? No one must get into the latest fad.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2009, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    And you don't "need" a blog. If you want to share your knowledge, what's wrong with a plain old web page where you just stick the info? No one must get into the latest fad.
    You're right, one can just post to a WEB site, but using a blog is much easier.

Also you have to remember my standing as a technology expert. That means I DO need to be up on the latest technology.

By the way if you want to learn something about Win 7 see my blog (link in sig) ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search