Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mythaldo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 08:46 AM
    No attic access for R-410 freon replacement lines
    I just had a seasonal service visit on my Goodman 2-ton model 24-10 unit (total electric with heat pump), which was installed new in 1994 or 95 and uses R-22 freon. I live in a two-story, multi-unit structure, where my condo is a ground-floor single-story unit. Each unit has its own HVAC system, for which the condo owner is responsible. Fortunately, all is working well with my unit as of today's check-up; however, I had to have a capacitor installed two years ago. I was told at the time that this was an indicator that the compressor was wearing out.

Today, the serviceman told me about the government regulations requiring the change-out to R-410 freon units, but also said I would never be able to make the change as I have no attic space in which to run the new freon lines needed to support the higher pressure required for the R410 freon. He suggested I consider replacing my entire unit with an R-22 compatible unit before the end of this month (Oct 2009). I opted to do nothing now and plan to replace the compressor and other parts when the time comes. I currently have no plans to move out of the condo. I am 55 years-old.

My concern is: Will the day eventually come when I will not be able to have heat and air, since my unit cannot be converted to the 410 system due to no attic space? If that's the case, what are apartment complexes and other condominium complexes planning to do? :confused: worried in Oklahoma
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Today, the serviceman told me about the government regulations requiring the change-out to R-410 freon units,

There is NO mandated change out per say. If your old unit breaks and you need an entire new unit then you will have to buy a unit that uses R-410A since there will be no more R-22 units made.

but also said I would never be able to make the change as I have no attic space in which to run the new freon lines needed to support the higher pressure required for the R410 freon.

Sometimes you just got to love these service persons. First of all if the lines got put into the attic space before than they can be replaced if necessary. The freon lines as you call them are the same for R-22 as for R-410A as far as the copper lines go but the units use a different type of oil so the old lines will need to be flushed to use them over on the new R-410A unit OR just replace them since they can be replaced.

He suggested I consider replacing my entire unit with an R-22 compatible unit before the end of this month (Oct 2009).

Is there something special about the end of the month? OR is it just possible he wants to unload a left over R-22 unit?

You will always be able to have heat and air and I suggest you contact a totally different company to get a second opinion and if you plan on buying a unit I suggest you get at least three estimates.

Something does not sound right with this situation from my perspective.

Oct 9, 2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks so much for your reply; it is quite illuminating and most reassuring.

You asked what was special about the end of the month? The serviceman made it sound as if, by law, he could no longer install an R-22 unit after Oct. 31 (or at least that was the impression he gave me.)

Again, many thanks.

Oct 9, 2009, 03:09 PM
    You asked what was special about the end of the month? The serviceman made it sound as if, by law, he could no longer install an R-22 unit after Oct. 31 (or at least that was the impression he gave me.)

Not true. The manufactures cannot make any R-22 units in 2010 or there after UNLESS they are in the pipe line. It will take the manufactures a few weeks after that to clear there R-22 new unit parts inventory.

R-22 will be around for a very long time. Production and storage was boosted a year or so ago to make sure there would be plenty on hand for repair of older units and there also doing the reclaim and recycle so I see no reason at all to fear that R-22 will be gone soon. If you bought a new R-22 unit today there will still be plenty of R-22 to service it during its life time.

Oct 9, 2009, 03:30 PM

If you listen closely, you can probably hear my big sigh of relief. Many, many thanks! I will sleep tonight after all. :)

Oct 9, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Glad to be of service

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low freon.replacement unit [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have a good man heat punp/ac and has been a dud since whe had it put in in 2001

Low freon.replacement unit [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have a good man heat pump/ac and has been a dud since whe had it put in in 2001. First we replaced the compressor in 2005 and the solder joints, the next year we had a high voltage wire replaced, the next year we had to replace a fan, now it has been freezing up, granted it would always freeze...

Freon lines between floor and ceiling? [ 1 Answers ]

I have about eight feet of lines to run between floor and ceiling. I wanted to pull these lines through 3" pvc to avoid possible future damage to the ceiling. There are two 90 degree turns for which I am using two 45's to make it easier. Is it necessary to contain these in pvc (even though I...

Attic-installed 90% furnace, frozen condensate lines [ 8 Answers ]

Following up on cbarker's question, we too have a 90% furnace in our attic (new home in NC) and the temp is often below freezing, the condensate line freezes, shuts the furnace off, etc. The HVAC contractor is fixing the problem by installing heat tape in all of the houses in our development. My...

How to remove housing for light without attic access [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to replace an existing ceiling light fixture with a recessed light. To put in the recessed light housing I need to remove the existing housing. But the problem is that I do not see any screws in the housing that I can unscrew. Probably this housing is connected to a joist but I do not...

View more questions Search