Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mathwiz3502 Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 04:41 AM
    The End of the World?
    Hello, I have been watching the history channel and it is talking about a lot of apocolypse dates:

1. According to Nostrodamus, the Mayans, and Chinese histograms, on December 21, 2012 the world will end. This will either be by a deadly astronomical event, or the third antichrist supposedly in the Middle East.

According to famous scientist Isaac Newton, many addition problems in Bible dates point to 2060, and Israel will rebuild Soloman's temple once more and the third antichrist will come there and destroy the world.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 05:10 AM

How many time have we heard "according to (fill in the blank) the world will end on (fill in the blank)?"

Rest assured that:

(a) the Mayan calendar really doesn't end on Dec 21, 2012 (despite the misinformation that's out there). There's a good article in the latest issue of "Sky and Telescope" that describes how the Mayan calendar really worked and whythis is all hogwash - the article is called "The Great 2012 Scare."

(b) The Mayans never had an "end of the world" prophecy for this date. That's all been made up in the past few years.

(c) and even if they did have an end of world prophecy, why would you believe it?

(d) Nostradamus says whatever you want him to say - his quatrains are so opaque that you can read into them whatever you want. So the same passages get cited for showing he "predicted" the Napoleonic Wars, or WW1, or WW2, or Vietnam, or 9-11, or the Iraq war, or... As long as there are wars, or natural disasters, or terrrorist acts, therewill be those who claim that Nostradamus predicted it.

As or Isaac Newton - I don't know what "addition problems" you're alluding to, but I wouldn't put much credence in obscure numerology tricks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 05:12 AM
    To be honest this has nothing to do with astronomy. ebaines gave you a great answer though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 04:59 PM

Yes and the bible gives no dates at all, not sure where anyone gets some 2060 date, from serious study, this is not anywhere.

As to the others, the world was going end when 1900 came, when 2000 came, when Bush got elected, when OBama got elected. It was going end at WWII and so on.

As for as man goes back someone thought the world was going to end in a few years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

End of the world? [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently watched the movie Knowing starring Nicholas Cage. It was extremely eye opening and it actually made me cry.. I've always been a firm believer in science rather than a believer in a biblical sense. I honestly do not believe in God.. I believe in science. I want to know peoples...

In his own world [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been living together for over a year now, and it seems like even though we live together and physically see each other everyday, we never spend time together. I feel just like Im living by myself, it gets really lonely sometimes. And yes he listens when I try to talk to him...

World War 2 ! [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering about Australians and the Kokoda Trail... Were the Aussies just pulled nin for back-up? And how did it start and end for them? :confused: This is for my history project!!

Please someone help me It would mean the world truly. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a soon to be 18 year old who will start my Senior year of High School. I have a friend who lives in Kentucky it's a she. We've known each other for two years talked to each other through phone,internet, and letters. We both love each other as friends an see each other as dating material...

View more questions Search