Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raygrogan Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Thanks for all the help. Here is what I just did:

Toilet tank is part of a one piece toilet, and not leaking badly, and the crack was on the back (looks like it got banged) and not in a stress point like on a bolt. Nothing too critical underneath in the basement. And the leak has been here since bath remodeled a year ago with no change.

Drained and dried with hair dryer.

Used a little purple PVC primer to try to see the crack better. Little help.

Put a layer of epoxy with Q-tip.

Cut a few strips of "sheer panel" about half inch wide. (Sheer panel is nylon used in draperies, get lots at 2nd hand stores. Other choices would be nylon window screen, fiber glass, etc. Anything that is strong and won't rot.)

Stuck the sheer panel strips to the epoxy, then more epoxy on top, all with Q-tips.

Done and doner.
    srneri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
    How has it worked? Has it cracked again?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 07:57 PM

Here you go !
    smithco Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Score or widen the crack to aid in adhesion and apply hydraulic cement.
    HandyMullvain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 11:43 PM
    Since the tank is a hairline crack on the bottom, repairs will not bother the ascetics and you can avoid buying a whole new unit. I recommend using Heavy Duty Job Site Locktite Epoxy. Get the 8oz version, it's water resistant and comes in a 2 part mixture of resin and hardener. You can remove the tank and it's components in 5 minutes. Then, properly dry everything inside and out. Clean the area you want to repair and apply a line across the cracked area both inside the tank and out. It says it drys in 5 minutes but wait a full 24 hours to cure before you reassemble your tank. Since everything is off, you might as well grab a tank to bowl kit if the toilet is at least 5 years old and replace the rings to prevent future leaks. If you want to buy a new toilet, I recommend your local hardware store or plumbing outlet. Tanks aren't typically sold separately so you're looking at a new complete unit if you go that route.
    Kaie N Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2013, 10:40 AM
    Hi
    I came across your posting today while I was looking for a solution to fix the cracked toilet tank.
    I would prefer to fix it rather than changing the whole toilet.
    Can you please let me know if the JB weld worked?
    I know it has been few years now but would really appreciate your reply!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2013, 10:51 AM
    Marine epoxy is better. Tank must be very dry. Some people also imbed a piece of vinyl pool liner in the epoxy over the crack. May work for a while, may not.
    terinbee Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2013, 01:20 AM
    Years ago when I was too poor to afford a toilet replacement, I used JB weld as well, worked like a charm. Was still holding up when I moved several years later. Only problem was the crack was a little more visible, since the JB weld was dark. Don't know if they offer a lighter colored version, or maybe caulk or something over top of it, if that's a problem for the customer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2013, 09:36 AM
    I have found that most of the cracks in the toilet tank come from faulty installation. Let me explain. One of the more common mistakes in installing a toilet tank is to crank down hard on the tank bolts. If a person leans back while sitting on a toilet the tank has no give and will crack around the tank bolts. The correct way is to allow the tank to rock a quarter of an inch. I do not recommend repairing a cracked tank. However, if you want to try I can only echo Brian's words. May work for a while, may not periods. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Pump/Tank/Toilet Problem? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs bathroom connected to a tank with a pump to move sewage up & out to our septic system. When the toilet is flushed, the water drains slowly, the bowl almost fills completely and the sink & toilet both start to gurgle & bubble. The drain line from the washing machine sink is...

Toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I needed a new toilet tank and I've put it on the bowl. My problem is now when it is flushed, the flapper will not stay open long enough to drain water from bowl. When the lever is pulled, the flapper opens water starts to leave the tank, but then the flapper closes and the tank fills back...

Toilet tank installation [ 2 Answers ]

I'm putting in a Kohler toilet (2 piece) and don't know how tight to put the tank on. Should I still be able to wobble it around or would that be to loose? The problem I am having is that if I tighten all of the three bolts the same the tank is not level front to back (the front is lower than...

Cracked Heels [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually not a question but an advise to those who have really dry, ugly heels... Try putting lotion or Petroleum jelly on the dry part and put on socks afterwards. This will help keeping the heels moistened and after a few days, you'll get good results. ;)

Toilet : Air Bubbles in Tank [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you (whoever that may be) in advance for any advice you can offer. I truly appreciate any suggestions you may have in helping me get to the bottom of this. When I flush my toilet, air bubbles enter the tank through the drain hole. I do not see any bubble whatsoever in the bowl, only in the...

View more questions Search