Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rathebold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Computer shuts down
    We have an "emachine" with Vista. Recently it has developed a problem where it boots up, then will usually not connect to the Internet, then shuts down. When you turn it back on it will maybe connect to the Internet, then shut down again. We replaced the power supply with a larger one but it is still doing the same thing.
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Nov 4, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Hey there

Is it shutting down by itself?

If it shuts down by it's self, does it power down immediately(+-2seconds or less) or does it say, Windows is now shutting down?

If it shuts down in less then +-2, there may be a hardware issue. Take it to where you bought it to get checked out.

If it accualy says, Windows is now shutting down, then the most likley cause is that you have a virus. (Probably the Brotok Virus). It doesn't do that much harm.

Install a anti virus. EMachines have McAfee trail version installed. Make sure it's activated and not expired.
    BE Careful AFTER installing a anti virus. If it detects viruses, readup about them online. If you have a file infecting virus your applications will be deleted from your PC. Your anti virus should have a home page online. They should have removal instuctions there..

Hope this help.

Cheers
    Grant
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 05:58 PM

While there could be many reasons for this the three major ones would be overheating, hardware issue and/or a virus. Much like the post above but I want to include overheating.

1. Do you have an Anti-Virus on the PC?

2. Have you recently added any hardware/software to the PC?

3. While the chances of it being overheting is slim, I would keep the thought I nmind but check the others first.

Rick
    Kelly62u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 11:30 PM

1st test if this is a OS issue or a hardware issue. Boot into the BIOS and wait a bit to see if the PC reboots. If not then try the following:

With another PC, go the emachine website @ eMachines Support: Product Support and Downloads and check your model for any motherboard driver updates. Make sure when you boot your PC nothing is connected accept keyboard, mouse, and monitor. No Ethernet! Ensure your PC is plugged into an unlimited power supply that works and plugged into a wall outlet that is not connected to a wall switch. Make sure no power lines are running under a chair mat.

If it is spy-ware, then download SpyBot S & D and scan in safe mode without restore points on. If it is a virus, I recommend making a anti-virus boot disk.

Hard drive issue? Use Spin-rite found at GRC.com Works.. And yeah 1 bad cluster can cause a crash.

Good luck!

Kelly62u

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer shuts off [ 2 Answers ]

After I have been on the computer for a little bit ,it will shut off and start making a real weird noise until I unplug it. Do you know why its doing this?

My computer shuts down [ 5 Answers ]

My computor shuts down while I am using it. I turn off the surge protectors then turn then back on then it will work. What is wrong. I am using a hp pavilion v50 with windows xp.

Computer Shuts Down By Itself [ 2 Answers ]

My computer shuts down by itself every 15mins or so. Then the black screen with these message: "Windows could not start because the following file is corrupt is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS|System32\CONFIG\System." Sometimes it reads: "The keyboard is missing or not connected... Floppy disk...

Computer shuts down [ 1 Answers ]

My computer shuts down while playing games, it doesn't matter what game just any game and after a few minutes it just shuts down! No blue screen nothing, no warning. I have msi mainboard Fx 5500 vid card AGP 550 watt PS 2 gigs ram Win Xp pro 320 g HD which was just install I use to be able...

Computer shuts down [ 4 Answers ]

Hello to all. I have a couple problems with my computer:mad: . One is I keep having this box pop up saying cannot find FLASH.OCX. I don't know what that is and why it keeps poping up. Any suggestions? Also. The most annoying thing is that my computer will shut down for no apparent reason. It will...

View more questions Search