Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmyt62 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Potato and cabbage soup recipes
    I'm looking for 2 dynamite soup recipes Potato soup, and Cabbage soup. I'm not looking for recipes from these cooking shows, where you can't find half the ingredients ( or can't pronounce them) Maybe one of Grandma's old, but delicious recipes
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 04:40 PM
    This is my Irish grandmother's recipe for cabbage soup.

1 medium head cabbage, finely chopped
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I use fresh tomatoes from my garden and don't put them in until the soup has less than 1 hour left to simmer)
    1 pound cubed beef brisket
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    6 1/2 cups cold water
    1 teaspoon white sugar

In a large stock pot combine the cabbage, tomatoes with liquid, beef brisket, carrot, onion and celery. Cover with cold water and season with sugar to taste. Simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours or until all ingredients are tender. Add additional seasoning to taste.

I like this recipe a lot, but the cabbage soup I like best is from leftovers from a corned beef and cabbage dinner. I can give you directions if you want, but basically I use the water I originally cooked the corned beef in for my stock, cube the corned beef, cut up the leftover potatoes and carrots, and use fresh shredded cabbage. It's really good.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
    So, Jimmy is interested in the corned beef dinner soup. I'll put it in here in case anyone else is interested.

Corned Beef Dinner

3 pounds well-trimmed corned beef
    1 large onion
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/2 head of cabbage, cut into 3-4 wedges
    6 carrots, cut in pieces
    4-5 potatoes, depending on size and your preference, quartered, I prefer red potatoes

Pour enough water over corned beef in Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender - about 50 minutes per pound.
    Add potatoes and carrots near the end of cooking, boil for 30 minutes. Add cabbage and boil for another 10-15 minutes, depending on how done you like your cabbage. Reserve your water. I usually store all leftovers, including the water, in a large Tupperware container.

Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup (very easy at this point)

Simply cube some of the leftover corned beef, cut the potatoes and carrots into bitsize pieces, and put in a medium saucepan covered with the reserved water. I then take fresh cabbage and cut it into squares and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until the cabbage is cooked - maybe 10 minutes.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 23, 2009, 06:49 PM

Hi, this is very yummy soup...and no calories. ... :DHee-Hee!

Broccoli, Cheese and Potato Soup
    SERVES 6

Ingredients
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    2 cups broccoli, chopped
    3 large potatoes, small cubes
    2 cups cooked chicken
    2 cups shredded swiss cheese
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon salt

Directions
    Heat broth, potatoes, onions, and broccoli to boiling.
    Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
    Add remaining ingredients.
    Cook on low for 5 minutes.
    For creamier soup, puree half in blender and return to pot and heat thoroughly.

Enjoy!!! :)
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Oct 27, 2009, 06:32 PM

POTATO SOUP

2 1/2 cups water
    3 cups diced potatoes
    1/2 cup celery
    1/2 cup opnion
    1 t. parsley
    1/2 t. salt & pepper
    1 chicken bullion cube

Cook till tender, then add the rest to thicken.

2 T. flour
    2 cups milk
    5 slices american cheese

Really I never measure, just through stuff in and used the bullion for salt. And add cheese till your likens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cabbage soup diet. Worth doing [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm starting the cabbage soup diet tomorrow. It's a 7 day diet. And have been told I could loose 7-10lbs.has anyone tried this and has it worked... thnks

Cabbage soup [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make the cabbage soup for a cabbage souup diet?I would really appreciate the recipies if you could send me some!:o

Potato suasage soup [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a good sausage potato soup recipe?

Looking for cabbage recipes. [ 6 Answers ]

It's fall and we have an abundance of cabbage, but not a surplus of recipes. Would appreciate any family favorites that you might have. Especially from ancestors. We already make stuffed cabbage and pierogies. Anyone have something special that they would care to share? Thanks. Dave.

How to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is sweet honey bee... I would like to know how to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle. Thanks..

View more questions Search