Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wow_buddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Am I getting billed correctly or am I getting screwed
    I recently was at work... hit my head on a sharp metal object during lunch break and cut my head open.. decent cut not to bad... bled and bled eventuall stopped pouring but still bled a little.. finished the work day and wife saw cut and still was was bleeding. We ended up going to the doctor. A speedy care place. They said that I was experiencing nerve trauma that my right side was not responding like my left that I should go by ambulance to the hospital. A little freaked we drove to the hospital after signing a stupid wavier of not taking the ambulance. Hospital ended up givng me 4 staples. 4 one of which wasn't even on my cut... literally in and out 20 minutes.. they said it was nothing mild concussion that every one was overreacting... The Bill $2357.00 for 4 Staples... my insurance won't cover cause I guess I mentioned I was at lunch... (didnt report to workmans comp for many reasons not the point here) I just want to know if $2357.00 is a legitimate cost for 20 minutes of time 5 min of the doctors and 4 staples.. AM I GETTING SCREWED HERE? WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 02:52 PM

Demand an itemized bill and carefuly scrutenize it for add ons that don't make sense to you. Call them up and demand that unnecessary charges be taken off your bill.

I got nailed by an ER visit for smoke inhalation back in the 1970's. They didn't do a thing to me except give me oxygen for 20 minutes and sent me a bill for $450 (a lot of money back in 1974).

Any time you go to the ER be prepared to pay out the nose for treatment.

Not surprised your insurance would not pay. They don't want to pay for anything - just you to pay them. Insurance companies have a really hard time parting with any money for services rendered. Good example of why bother having insurance.

P.S. Buy a field surgical kit and stich up your wounds yourself for about $25 or less on Amazon or Ebay. I don't go to the ER or doctors any more as they are too expensive and I'd rather do it myself at home and save tons of money for stuff I can do myself. My son injured his forearm with a nasty cut and he staunched the blood with 2 surgical foreceps. Once it stopped bleeding he just bandaged it after cleaning the wound thoroughly. The ER would have cost a fortune to do the same thing. No stitches required. Stitches and staples are used only to stop the bleeding of wounds that are gushing and wide open. I think the ER had a field day because they thought you could ding your insurance with their outrageous bill.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 04:34 PM

The only thing with having a surgical kit to use yourself, is you have to make sure you actually know what you're doing and when to know that it's time to go to the dr and let them take over. Not saying anyone in this thread can't figure it out. But when they have to put warnings on a cup of hot coffee that it's hot, or warnings that knives are sharp, I figure it's best to remind people to be careful. :)
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 9, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Demand an itemized bill and carefuly scrutenize it for add ons that don't make sense to you. Call them up and demand that unnecessary charges be taken off your bill.
    I agree with this portion

I work in healthcare administration and I can tell you that the bulk of the cost is due to going to the ER. Frankly, the Quick Care office you went to could have managed those stitches and had you follow up with your regular doctor the next day. Unfortunately, those types of places do sometimes "over react" and the patient ends up paying the price.

The bill sounds approximate, but be sure to look at an itemized bill to be sure and don't be afraid to ask questions. What they can charge you for each item isn't negotiable (those are set up by the government to protect from price gouging) but you can examin the bill to be sure you received each service that was listed.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 06:13 PM

The first office definitely overreacted big time. As I said before stitches and staples are for wounds that are gushing blood.

You might consider buying a Field Medical Handbook published by the US Government for the use in the field by soldiers. Called Military Manuals. Not that hard to find. $6 - $10. Sure beats a $2,300 bill anyday. I have sevral and have referred to them time and time again. I don't waste my time going to the ER or doctor's office just for him to buy another Rolls Royce to add to his collection. I am not a "doctor nut" and shun going to them period.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 06:19 PM

yes, for stiches that is about what a ER visit is going to cost, and do't be surprised if you still don't get additional bill for doctor and even x-rays, many hospitals bill those separate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No medical treatment but billed [ 14 Answers ]

My husband fell off a ladder and the back of his arm hit me on the nose. It was bleeding a lot. I went to the emergency room and stayed for about 2 hours without medical treatment. A nurse had taken my blood pressure,weight and some medical info that took less than 5 minutes. I left to seek...

Fees Billed but unearned . [ 1 Answers ]

I was thinking Unearned Fees XXXX Fees Earned XXXXX Is this correct?

Accounting entries- billed services [ 3 Answers ]

The follo0wing are the balances in the acocunts for Joan Miller Advertising Agency as of January 31, 2001 Fees Receivable Debit $200 Wages Payable Credit $180 During the month of Feb, the agency engaged in the following transactions: Feb 8 . Completed the series of advertisements for...

Double-Billed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My wife recently went in for a physical exam. They found her blood-pressure was a bit high so the doctor advised her to cut back on salt and get exercise. I just got the bill and found that they billed extra. I called the doctor's office and was told that the doctor billed for an...

Billed unfairly? [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a house and am resposible for my own fuel costs. 2 months ago a fuel company filled my tank without me even calling or opening an account. The rate they charged me was 20 cents cheaper per gallon than any other company. I paid the bill and asked for the tank to be topped off again. A new...

View more questions Search