Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CJMOM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2004, 07:44 AM
    Nursing cat with worms
    My cat gave birth 26 days ago. We knew she had worms before the birth and now she is so very thin and nursing. She eats an awful lot and is in the litter box constantly. I have found no round worms in the feces but she does throw them up. When can I worm her? Shouldn't I worm the kittens as well at the same time?
    How old do they have to be?" What brand meds do you recommend that I can get over the counter. I know she should go to a vet but I am unable to do that until End of June. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
    CJMOM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2004, 07:45 AM
    Re: nursing cat with worms
    My cat gave birth 26 days ago.  We knew she had worms before the birth and now she is so very thin and nursing.  She eats an awful lot and is in the litter box constantly.  I have found no round worms in the feces but she does throw them up.  When can I worm her?  Shouldn't I worm the kittens as well at the same time?
    How old do they  have to be?"  What brand meds do you recommend that I can get over the counter.  I know she should go to a vet but I am unable to do that until End of June.  Any advise would be appreciated.  Thanks.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Apr 13, 2004, 06:43 PM
    Re: nursing cat with worms
    Hello,

I would wait until you can afford to take her to the vet to deworm her. DON'T buy over the counter dewormers that you can find available at pet stores, vet supply, etc.

Unless you know what kind of worms she has you won't be able to choose the right kind of dewormer on your own.

Call your vet and see if they would sell you the dewormer (if she can have it while nursing) if you brought in a stool sample and the weight of the cat. If you are a current client, some vets will do this.

Also, upgrade the diet!! This is VERY important!

I would switch her over to Iams Hairball and mix in some Iams Kitten until she is done nursing (then you can feed it to the babies).

People think Iams is too expensive but (speaking from 10+ years experience) the health problems related to poor diet are MUCH more expensive in the long run.

Iams can be found at Wal-Mart, some grocery stores, and even Dollar General (if you have one). Feed momma whatever she wants until the babies are weened then back her off to 3/4 cup a day.

She should gain weight on Iams unless there is some underlying health issue of which you are not aware.

Also, when you can afford it, get her tested for FeLV (Feline Leukemia). Cats that are out and about breeding are in a high risk category for this deadly disease. It is spread through exchange of blood and saliva.

Hope this information helps!

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worms in apple trees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! How can we stop worms from eating the apples in the trees? I live in Ontario, Canada and it's starting to get warm and It won't be long before the flowers will strart showing in the trees. Thanks in adavance

Worms Origin [ 6 Answers ]

Where network worms come from? I need few worms for education purpose, how can I get them?

Worms just in time for Christmas - [ 4 Answers ]

Just thought I'd share a bit of news with you all - better safe than sorry! Santa Claus Worm Strikes IM Clients A new instant-messaging worm called IM.GiftCom.All is making The rounds This season. Rated as a "medium" threat by IMlogic, the worm Attempts to get users of the...

Could my Yorkie have WORMS? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not sure what the signs of worms are. For a couple days he was throwing up a little and I am not sure why, but he has stopped now. He is laying beside me and his belly is making the weirdest noises. Gurgling and whatnot. He doesn't eat ANYTHING but his dog food, ever. We don't feed him table...

Worms 1 With Xp [ 1 Answers ]

I just feel like playing Worms on my computer. Find back CD, install it without problems. Then I can't run it. Does anyone know how to run it with Windows XP?

View more questions Search