Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 06:14 AM
    Sleep vs No Sleep
    My daughter who is now 15 months still does not sleep through the night. I admit that this is my fault. She has a sleep association with nursing. Family members are telling me I need to wean her and that this will solve the problem... I just don't think this is the case and I'm not ready to wean her. I've tried several methods, I've gotten books, and I can not find anything that works for both of us. On one hand I'm sleep deprived and ready to try my hardest to get her sleeping all night long but on the other, I'm not sure if I have the energy go through weeks of working on this. It's just so easy to get up, nurse her, and lay her back down. It would be different if I didn't have a career; I teach fourth graders for crying out loud! Need some advice, tips, etc. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2009, 06:24 AM
    I can't believe she is already 15 months old!! Seems like yesterday she was born!

Weening shouldn't take weeks, but only days. If you are not ready to ween her, what would you like to do? Do you pump? What does she do while you are working? If she is taking a bottle while you are working, then she should not have a hard time adjusting to nighttime feedings, aside from the fact that you are holding her while you are feeding her.

Is she getting any baby food yet? I would hope so. She should be sleeping through the night by now. What is her bedtime routine?
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 06:35 AM

I pumped in the earlier days but I don't now since she doen't feed as much during the day. She does take a bottle while I am at work although I believe it is more of a comfort thing because she eats table food very well. So, yes, she eats food food! :) I don't mind weaning her from the nighttime feedings but everyone else thinks I need to fully wean her or it won't work. Which, of course, I think is wrong.. Her bedtime routine is very consistent. We eat dinner, turn down the lights, take a bath, sing soft songs, and then I feed, lay her down and that's that.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 06:36 AM
    And I know! She is starting to look more like a little girl than a baby now! :( My baby is growing too fast.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2009, 06:46 AM
    It's best to either breast or bottle. Your choice. Otherwise you are going to have a struggle on your hands. It's like handing a kid candy but telling them they can't eat it.

She really should be sleeping through the night by now. If she's not, it's more of a comfort thing than it is a hunger thing.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 06:53 AM

Ok, breast. And yes, it is a comfort thing. Do you think weaning her from the night feedings will help her stay asleep or will she find another reason to wake up :o I sure wish I could see the future!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8month old has less sleep, can some one tell me how to put him to sleep [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my son is 8month and 2 week old; still I tie him when he is sleeping as he kicks the blanket in the night and gets cold…. If I keep the AC less then he sweat and won’t get good sleep. If I keep in un tied then he starts crawling or sits in night and won't sleep for long time can some one tell me...

How old is to old for a son to sleep with his dad [ 6 Answers ]

How old is to old for a son to sleep with his dad?

How much should an 8yr old cat sleep? [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed my cat sleeps an awful lot, most of the time she is sleeping. Is this normal? How much activity does a cat really need?

Too much sleep? Bad? [ 6 Answers ]

So I was reading some crazy article online saying, people who sleep large amounts of hour I nthe day shorten their life. This can not be true.. I mean, my friend sleeps the majority of the day (he says he is tired but I know he is just lazy haha) He seems fine to me. Someone help me...

I can't sleep. [ 13 Answers ]

I have started staying up to 7 AM. The next day it was 8 AM. Next day it was 9 AM. Next day it was 5 hours later (2 PM). I really need to start going to bed early again (at least 11:30). I have a lot to do and I have to start waking up at a normal time. The only problem is I can't.. Its like...

View more questions Search