Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angryex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Stolen Medical Records
    I am going through a nasty divorce and custody battle. My husband has make several false claims about me during our divorce and has went as far as stalking to obtain information to use against me in Court. Recently our conversation became heated after he refused to pick our son up from preschool at the last minute because he made other plans. During our conversation he told me that he knew for a fact that I have been diagnosed as being Bi-polar and he has medical record from (named a local Neuropsychiatrist) to prove it. My husband and I owned a computer repair & networking business that he has recently bought me out of. The doctor he named is one of his clients that he provides computer service for.

I am not Bi-polar and have never been diagnosed with any mental health issues other than a temporary case of postpartum depression, which was diagnosed and treated by my family physician over 8 years ago. The doctor has since retired and our medical records were passed on to another office, but I do not recall where.

I plan to go the Neuropsychiatrist office that he would have stolen or been given access to, my medical records to bring the issue to their attention and to request that my medical records be released to me. I have never been a patient of the Neuropsychiatrist and It could be a case of a mistaken identity because I do have a common name.

I think this is a serious threat, even if it turns out to be a false claim, and a violation of my privacy. I have 4 children and feel that my husband's behavior is effecting their emotional well being. It's been going on for a year and I refuse to let it continue.

My question is... what step should I follow to investigate this issue? I am willing to prosecute if necessary but my divorce has left me in financial hardship and I cannot afford to hire an attorney.

Thank you for any advice that you can give me to guide me in the right direction.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2009, 01:14 AM

Sorry, but you cannot afford to NOT have an attorney. Especially if he has one, if you go up against him without legal representation you will most likely lose.

However, I can give you a weapon to use in this instance. Its called HIPAA. This is federal law that protects patients medical data. If your ex obtained the information while working for a medical practitioner, then he is bound by HIPAA to not use or reveal any information he obtained under penalty of law. So, if he tries to use that info in your divorce, you can report this violation to HIPAA and he can be fined. You can also petition the Divorce court to invalidate this evidence since it was illegally obtained.

You can also go to the Neuropsychiatrist's office and inform them that your ex may have accessed records and is planning to use them for his own gain. Since this is very much a HIPAA violation they should treat the issue very seriously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Records from Pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

How can the father and/or the grandmother get the medical records of the mother while she was pregnant? My son was told in June that his girlfriends was pregnant. Therefore in August he married her. During this time her due date changed from march 30 to march 7 to April 19. My son never got to...

Mailing medical records [ 4 Answers ]

I recently left a message at my physicians office requesting results from my recent labwork I had done. I later found out that my Actual Medical Records were mailed out to me, but I did not get them because they were sent to the wrong address. I didn't think that they were even allowed to mail out...

Medical Records forgery [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a medical practice in medical records and the physician would require us to alter records to prevent any legal action against him. What avenue can I pursue to turn him in for this?

Re medical Records request [ 10 Answers ]

This is complicated and I'm not sure the best way to proceed. My old roommate had Surgery at a LI hospital in about 1995 or 1996. She never got her records or Pathology. She moved back to the caribbean island she came from. She ended up With surgery but they mis-diagnosed her. She has no...

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

View more questions Search