Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bella926 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 04:23 PM
    How to install a 2 wire light switch on an already installed ceiling fan
    Hello, this is my first inquiry. My brother-in-law removed the faulty switch so I do not know how the wire was connected. He gave it to me to take to Lowe's for replacement. Have been waiting since Christmas season to have it repaired, looks like I will do it myself.

I removed the light bulbs and lower portion of the light kit to gain access to the light switch as instructed. Instructions then say to remove old switch and make note of how the original wiring is connected. I cannot do this since I did not remove. The new switch I bought has two long black wires connected to it. The broken switch that was removed does not have any wires connected to it.

Please advise how I should proceed. I cannot afford a handyman at this time and the light must be repaired.

Thank you for any assistance.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 04:36 PM

I would turn power off to that circuit, connect the 2 wires at the switch, turn breaker on, if it now works, that is the 2 wires to connect to.

Oct 7, 2009, 04:39 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply. The issue is, what do I connect the 2 wires at the switch to? There are two wires attached to the switch that I purchased. Where do these two wires get connected to?

Oct 7, 2009, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I would turn power off to that circuit, connect the 2 wires at the switch, turn breaker on, if it now works, that is the 2 wires to connect to.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. The issue is, what do I connect the 2 wires at the switch to? There are two wires attached to the switch that I purchased. Where do these two wires get connected to?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 01:02 PM

What wires do you have that are not connected?

Ceiling fan pullchain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 06:30 PM

The switch may be bad, by connecting the 2 wires, if the light now works, it IS a bad switch.
    Get fixture to work without switch or dimmer, identifing the 2 wires, to avoid destruction should you have a short.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light install from a wall plug that is on/off switch [ 9 Answers ]

I have a bedroom wall plug. There is switch that turns power off & on , on the lower plug. I want to be able to set the switch up to turn a new ceiling light on & off and just have the wall plug with permanent hydro. What is the best way to set this up.

How to install a ceiling fan with a light and switch controlling the light and fan [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've read so many posts, but can't figure this out. (don't laugh) At the switch: The wiring from the wall has RED, BLACK, and GROUND (bare). The switch is a dimmer for both the fan and light. Wires are BLUE, RED, and BLACK. SO, how do I hook this up? At the fan: The wiring from...

How to wire switch for ceiling fan and light [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a ceiling fan with a light. I have power at the box and need to know how to wire for the switches. I want to control the fan and the light separately. Can I run a 14/3 + ground to the switch box by sharing a hot lead and using the other two wires for the switch?

Hampton Bay ceiling fan- replacing 2 wire light switch [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan and the light is not working ( there are 3 globes ) . I bought a "2 wire light switch" from Lowe's and was told the piece is interchangeable. I know that Home Depot sells Hampton Bay products, but Lowe's is closer. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, but...

Install ceiling fan light socket and fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I removed broken light switch pull chain only to find out light socket was also bad. Removed light socket and tried to replace. The old light socket had a wire in addition to the standard black and white. Can I use the standard light socket or do I need to find this socket with third wire? I hooked...

View more questions Search