Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damdifino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Three strikes your out
    I have a female in-law that is awaiting trial in Texas for threatening a boyfriend with a knife, she has two previous convictions for similar offenses. Does she stand a chance of going to jail for this offense. She got probation on the previous two, but obviously did not learn any lessons. She also has three kids to take care of 16year old 11 and 9. her bond is $50,000-00 which she cannot make and will spend 30 pus days in county until her trial date. What are the likely outcomes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 10:36 AM

Sadly men and women don't get equal treatment in courts, women get a lot less sentense almost always,

Since this is the third time and assuming the victim will testify in court against them, I would assume some jail time.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 11:37 AM

She needs to start making some sort of arrangements for her 3 kids to be taken care of for a long stretch of time. Being convicted twice for the same thing and she hasn't learned not to attack other people with weapons definitely will not sit well with the Judge. She will probably be going away for awhile. The court really does not care how many kids she has at home to take care of when it really comes down to it. The court sentences folks for their actions - not their progeny.
    SmellyDogsMom Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Oct 7, 2009, 06:15 PM

Normally domestic violence cases heve few independent witnesses. If it is just his word against hers, she may have a chance at trial. The other convictions, unless they quite similar in facts, should not come in at trial. (Similar is more than just another domestic violence case).

The concern here is that her bond is so high, it sounds like the facts of the case must be bad, possibly more than just a menacing or threatening type case. Plus, regardless of what happens on her new charge, she could still be violated on her old charges.

I agree with the others, as far as the children are concerned, many judges think that she should have thought of her kids before her altercation.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by damdifino View Post
    I have a female in-law that is awaiting trial in Texas for threatening a boyfriend with a knife, she has two previous convictions for similar offenses.
    Hello d:

You mentioned three strikes... IF your state HAS a three strikes law, in order for it be applied, she would have to have two previous violent FELONY convictions.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lucky Strikes [ 3 Answers ]

Where could one buy Lucky Strikes? Are they out there anymore?

Little Johnny strikes again [ 4 Answers ]

Little Johnny's neighbors had a baby. Unfortunately the baby, was born without ears. When the mother and new baby came home from the hospital, Johnny's family was invited over to see the baby. Before they left their house, Little Johnny's dad had a talk with him and explained that the baby had no...

Lightning strikes [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: can lightning strike twice in the same place?:confused:

Organized strikes [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know 8 disadvantages of an organised strike.

View more questions Search