Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyLeefreak Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Singing tips?
    So, my Because is in this band and I really want to be in it. It's an all guy band and I'm a girl but, I think he would let me do some back-up volcals (Can't spell, lol) I've asked this before but, not getting any answers. How can I sound better? I'm not that bad a singer but, I'm not trained. And I'm already in chior and will be takeing singing lessions. Please give me some singing tips, thanks.
    itsamor Posts: 196, Reputation: 12

Oct 6, 2009, 06:43 PM

Honestly just listen to a girl singer that you like and try to mock their voice. Then change it up to be more "unique", that's how you can tell if you can really sing. If you can sync your voice with music and others. Also.choir.. eh.. not really guy band material.. I don't think your friend/cuz really wants a chick in his band unless you want to scream like "Porcelain and the tamps" and blow they're ing brains out!

Also.. don't drink sodas drink lots of water, try not to cough before singing and use your diaphram! Haha

Oct 6, 2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks, and I know what you mean by the chior I thought it would help but, it's making me sound worse and I also lission to Kittie and Amy Lee of Evanescence, Wow those are going to be hard to match.

Oct 6, 2009, 06:50 PM

Yea I see you like amy lee... I'm a singer myself I can sing in all sorts of voices. I can sound like hayley from paramore, to amy lee.. to some random punk band, haha its fun but HARD to find bands cause they don't like that type of music. My whole town say that they hate "chick" bands. =[

Oct 6, 2009, 06:52 PM

Ah, love paramore; going to their concert this Sunday. Anyway that's cool that you can sing different styles; I'm just getting started.:D

Oct 6, 2009, 06:55 PM

Aww lucky, I'm sure you'll turn out great. U seem driven =].
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 02:00 AM
    Hi, AmyLeefreak!

Your voice is unique. If you imitate the sounds of other singers, it might not be the best that your voice can sound.

There are different ways of singing. For instance, jazz, folk, rock, classical, microphone, theatrical, opera, etc. Those are some that I can think of right now. What sounds good being sung in one style, might not sound good in another style.

If you'll be taking singing lessons, I'm assuming that you'll be trained to utilize your vocal instrument to its fullest potential. That is the way to go. Just because someone might sound good to some people, if they're singing into a microphone, doesn't necessarily mean that they can really sing.

Of course what sounds "good" is subjective and a matter of opinion. However, I've been a voice and instrumental music teacher as well as a professional singer and instrumental musician for over thirty years.

Please listen to your voice teacher and please do stick with choir. Doing both of those things will lead to other activities and opportunities for you.

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2009, 04:39 PM

Ok, thanks but, I want to know. Will the singing lessions really be worth it? Will it really bring out my voice and make me sound better and not just show me how to sing silent night and stuff. I want to be the best I can be.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 02:58 AM
    Hi again, AmyLeefreak!

By taking voice lessons from someone who really knows how to teach you how to utilize your vocal instrument to its fullest potential, you will go far - if you practice and do as the teacher instructs you to do. Your setting up the foundation for the rest of your career. Traditional lessons are always the best with which to begin, as long as the teacher knows what they're doing and the student is willing to learn and practices what the teacher says to practice.

Plese also remember, that a lesson is not practice time. It's a lesson. The practice happens during the rest of the week outside of the lesson time.

By the way, "Silent Night" is a great piece to use for warming up and vocalizing. It can be done in all sorts of different keys. The slower pieces are always the best ones to use for initial warming-up. If you were my student, I would be able to demonstrate that to you.

Actually, if I'm able to get back into my main computer, I might actually be able to show you what I mean by posting a sound file on a site for you to listen to. But, I have to be able to use my main computer and also use the programs that are on it. I can't even start that computer right now. It's very frustrating...

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2009, 02:37 PM

Cool, I'd be interested in that if you can post it up.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 06:00 PM
    I might actually be able to do it on the present computer that I'm using. But, we'll see...

This is a Windows '98 machine. Not too much going for it in the present day and age.

I still might need some programs that are in my main computer that I can't start.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singing [ 9 Answers ]

How do I get myself out there and show people how good I am at singing?

If You're Into Men Singing. [ 12 Answers ]

If you're into men singing barbershop style music or otherwise, then please click on the following two links for a couple of videos that will blow you away! If you view them, would you please let me know what you think of them? :) Thanks! YouTube - Westminster Chorus 2007 Strike Up The...

Singing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 13 years old and I look younger than my age.I don't think my voice sounds mature for my age.I happen to sound baby-like when I sing it tends to bring down my confidence.So now every time I sing its hard for me to believe I have a good voice. Everyone I have ever sang to though said I had a...

What is the name and who's singing [ 3 Answers ]

This song was playing at the end of a movie during the credits. Every now and then I get a clue Every now and then I feel the need Every now and then lightning finds you And turns your darkness into dreams Every now and then I think about you Every now and then tears roll by Every now and...

Singing as one? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knew the verse in Revelations were it talks about when we get to heven and we sing praise in one voice. I forgot were it was but I know its in Revelations. If someone could help me that would be great! Thanks -Fallen

View more questions Search