Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wtwwtw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 06:25 PM
    On unemployment and turned down a job
    I am the owner of a plumbing company in Florida. I know of a plumber that is on unemployment because he was laid off. I offered him a job @ $19.00 per hour, one weeks paid vacation after one year, two weeks paid vacation after two years, Christmas bonus, forty hours a week. He turned down the job. Since his previous employer pays for his unemployment should I tell his former employer he turned down a good job? As the owner of a small company I would like to know if this happened to me
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 19, 2009, 12:26 PM

No, you should not report this.

He has the legal right to accept or decline any job offer he wishes. Its none your business - but he is required to report these things to the unemployment office. He does not have to accept the job you offered and for all you know, he's turned you down to accept another post elsewhere.
    wtwwtw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
    I have already decided not to say anything to anyone about this job offer. I know he has the right to accept or decline any job offer. But on the other hand it is my business to find out just what the proper etiquette is in this situation. And just so you know he was called by another plumber and asked why he did not take the job and he said he was just sitting it out and weighing his options. Options: work or collect unemployment? Easy decision for some, free money for others. Have a nice day
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 30, 2009, 11:02 AM

But on the other hand it is my business to find out just what the proper etiquette is in this situation.
    The etiquette is what I mentioned. To say nothing, which you've already chosen to do.

Its strange to me that so many people are concerned with what he's doing.

And for the record, I'm not pro-unemployment by any means. I wish as many people were offering my brother a job! He hasn't found industrial plumbing work in several months.
    Purdue2010 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2009, 11:48 PM

WTWWTW, the gentleman may actually be weighing his options as he said, and not just sitting around for free money. Remember, he had to work in order to get that unemployment, so it is not actually free. Consider this, he might have made more money at his prior job, and therefore may make more money on unemployment than you offered him, and what if he can not afford the bills that he currently has if he took your offer. He may be waiting until the economy has improved. (It is on an upturn) Just take a step back and put yourself in his shoes. You should not take this thing personally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tn. Unemployment w-2 [ 4 Answers ]

Where to find and print tn. Unemployment w-2 on internet

Best friend turned lovers turned screwed over [ 9 Answers ]

Okay I'm a dark Hispanic pretty girl that fell in love with a white Christian guy. We started as friends and we clicked so well , for 4 years we had been talking. 3 years into our relationship we both had more feelings towards each other hed talk about me in his state Id talk about him in my state...

Unemployment in TN [ 4 Answers ]

I am not sure how unemployment fully works and I can not get in touch with the unemployment office because of so many claims being filed. My question is this: I filed for unemployment due to lack of work and was approved for 26 weeks and my employer is supposed to call me back; however we don't...

Unemployment w 2 [ 1 Answers ]

How to get unemployment w 2

View more questions Search