Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandij Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Child tax
    Can a non custodial parent claim a child for the child tax credit when they only have them maybe 4 days a month and do not pay for that child
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Nope. Only the custodial parent gets that deduction.

Nov 1, 2006, 08:04 PM
    I was never married to my sons dad he does not give me any money and he takes his son overnight maybe one night a week if he feels like it

Nov 1, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Where can I find a legal answer to that question so that I can give it to him so he will know? Or what happens if he tries to claim him and I already have?
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 4, 2006, 04:54 PM
    No it is a federal law. You can call the IRS like I did, they did not ask my name. He can not claim them. If he does he will be in violation, which is bad for him.
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 4, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Mandij,
    Use this link I found on the net-- http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p972.pdf It's a pdf file from the IRS. If you look on page 2 it shows the definition of a qualifying child. The child must reside with the one taking advantage of the write off for more than half the year.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 5, 2006, 08:01 AM
    You can speak with any public accountant who does taxes.
    They will have the legal answer you need, right down to the state laws.

Many of them will give you a quick "yay or nay" for free over the counter.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Nov 5, 2006, 02:25 PM
    What country do you live in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2006, 05:28 PM
    First you need to go to court if you have not, and get a custody order and a order for child support and a order of when he can have visitation.

As for as claiming them as a dependent on your taxes, assuming this is in the US, this is one of the issues normally listed in the custody agreement.
    Normally the custodial parent is the one to claim them on their income tax.

Now there are 1000's of parents that do file illegally and then the other parent has to file a complaint with the IRS.
    And if it his problem not yours if he files illegally.

The people that do your taxes can explain this to you.
    needhelpinks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
    The only way a noncustodial parent can claim a child for the child tax credit, would be if the custodial parent agrees and signs a form 8332 which is a release of exemption and child tax credit. You may not claim Earned Income Credit or anything else, because the child did not live with you more than 6 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

View more questions Search