Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N_Rivera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Solving Systems of Equations in Three Variables
    Ok so I don't know I can do them but sometimes I get one variable wrong but the other two are correct, maybe I'm mixing up the equations or numbers?

7x+5y+z=0
    -x+3y=2z=-16
    x-6y-z=-18

3x-5y+z=9
    x-3y-2z=-8
    5x-6y+3z=15

4x-3y+2z=12
    x+y-z=3
    -2-2y+2z=5

-x-3y+z=54
    4x+2y-3z=-32
    2y+8z=78
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 6, 2009, 04:07 PM

You have to solve for a variable first. Tip: Solve for the easiest one. For example in your first one, I'd sovle for z and use this equation.

7x+5y+z=0
    -7x -7x
    --------------------
    5y+z=-7x
    -5y -5y
    ----------------------
    z=-7x-5y

Now plug that into the other equations:

-x+3y=2z=-16
    x-6y-z=-18

The way to know if your answers are correct are try plugging them in once you have found all the variables.

Edit: I noticed in your first problem that theirs 2 equation signs in "-x+3y=2z=-16." Assuming it is not a typo, you could just do the following to find z.

2z=-16
    z=-8
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 01:02 AM

Can you show us the work you've done? It would help to straighten out the issue you're having.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 09:04 AM
    I don't know I can do them but sometimes I get one variable wrong but the other two are correct, maybe I'm mixing up the equations or numbers?

7x+5y+z=0
    -x+3y=2z=-16
    x-6y-z=-18
    It sounds like you do know how to do them, but you make mistakes. Nearly everyone does that. That's why you substitute back into all of the equations once you find a solution.

Have you learned Cramer's Rule yet? For me, that simplifies the type of equation you've got -- but you can even make mistakes with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Solving Systems of Equations in three variables [ 1 Answers ]

How do I solve system of equations in three variables? Ex: 2x+y-z=-8 4x-y+2z=-3 -3x+y+2z=5

Solving systems of equations in 3 variables [ 2 Answers ]

OK I am really confused on how to do this... I understand how but the numbers are not adding up here is the problem 2x-y+4z=11 x+2y-6z=-11 3x-2y-10z=11

World problems involving systems of equations with three variables [ 1 Answers ]

so I got this problem for school and I'm working on it but I think I set it up wrong.. In Super Bowl I, on January 15, 1967, the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs by a score of 35 to 10. The total points scored came from 13 different scoring plays, which were a combination of...

Solving systems of equations in three variables? [ 1 Answers ]

a+b=3 -b+c=3 a+2c=10

Systems of equations with 3 variables [ 1 Answers ]

How do you solve systems of equations with 3 variables? And what if one of the equations only has 2 of the variables? Example: 1) 2x+3y-4z=20 2) 3x-2y+z=12 3) 5x-2z=4 Don't try to solve this one, I just made it up to give you an example.

View more questions Search