Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HorusLives Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Abandonment of Property?
    Hello,

I live in Ohio, and I haven't been able to find much on a law and I was wondering if it even existed. I'll give you a brief run-down of my situation.

I dated a girl for roughly two years, and within those two years she had cheated on me twice, and ends up leaving me for one of the people she cheated on me with. We were living together, and she moved out.

Now, there were two items we both went half and half on. A new bed, and a new TV. Before we broke up we both agreed if it were to happen, we would each get one item, considering they cost roughly the same amount. She wants the bed, and I want the TV. Fair Enough.

A few weeks after she moves out (she leaves literally boxes of belongings in my house) she decides she wants the TV. We argued about it and resolved the agreement that she is getting the bed. We stopped arguing for a few months and within those few months she had told me I could have both the TV and bed because she felt bad. (We got rid of my old bed and my old TV, so I would either be without a TV or without a bed, and I'm not very wealthy.)

Out of the blue she text me last night and said she wants her bed because she's moving. Note that it has been nearly half a year since she moved out. She has other personal belongings she has left here that I boxed up and have repeatedly told her to come get, and she never has.

My question is this: Is there a law stating that if you move out of someone's house, and leave your possessions there for a certain amount of time that you are considered to have abandoned them?

I know there are certain laws like that in other states, but as I said, I've yet to find one for Ohio. I don't think it's fair that she tells me I can have them, then expects to just take the bed half a year later, after it had been at my house the entire time. Would this stand in any court?

Her mother is dating a Sheriff and I'm sure she could get whatever she wanted, as she has filed a police report on me for 'harassing' her, when I don't really want anything to do with this anymore.

I have considered giving her the bed so she will leave me alone, but as I've stated, it's unfair that she could just "store" her things at my house for half a year then get them back whenever she wants. Especially when I've given her numerous opportunities to come get her belongings.

Is there anything I can do?

Oct 6, 2009, 03:30 PM

I am sorry to post again, but I would also like to point out that she had come and gotten some of her other belongings multiple times as well, but never the bed she thinks should belong to her.

Her excuse is she has nowhere to put it, and I fail to see how that is my problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2009, 03:32 PM

Tell her she can have the bed, when she pays storage fees for it and everything else she has stored in your place.

Oct 6, 2009, 03:33 PM

Do you think that would hold up though? I don't really want the law to get involved, or anything like that if I don't have to, as I just want out of this mess.

Oct 6, 2009, 03:40 PM

Yes, I think it would work. If you can prove, you have repeatedly asked her to remove her things and that she told you that you can keep the bed.

Oct 6, 2009, 03:45 PM

Well, I don't have any physical proof, as it was a verbal agreement.

Oct 6, 2009, 04:17 PM

The fact that she moved out and left things there is sufficient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment of rental property in Texas [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a Texas landlord, who was renting out a home to a tenant. The tenant broke the lease and moved out of the premises on Sunday Nov. 9, 2008. What should I do before I can legally rent the premises out again? What steps should I take to ensure the tenant cannot come back with claims...

Abandonment on personal property [ 2 Answers ]

I am the landlord of my mothers property, My sister once lived there and now has left her house that she has built on the property. The house is surrounded and filled with her junck. I need help and information on what to do!!

Mississippi Property abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any information on Mississippi property abandonment laws?

Abandonment of rental property [ 1 Answers ]

I rent out a mobile home. My tenant is two weeks past due. I have tried contacting her and left messages for her. I have gone by the rental property and she is not there. The neighbors say that she has not been there for about tree weeks. I went by her place of employment and she quit her job...

View more questions Search