Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmh23211 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Age of consent?
    In what states is it legal to have a sex with anyone you want at the age of 17?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Anyone you want? You mean like a 13 year old? Can you specify?

Oct 6, 2009, 02:25 PM

Sorry, I mean anyone older.
    Lets say a 17 year old was in a relationship (sexual and mental) with someone that was 5+ years older than them,
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Age of consent

Oct 6, 2009, 02:34 PM

So, from my understanding, it is legal for a 17 year old to have sex with someone 5+ years older than them, in any state?
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Not necessarily. Look at the link I provided.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 6, 2009, 02:37 PM

Not if the age of consent in your state is 18

Oct 6, 2009, 02:40 PM

If you're of the consent age, you can have sex with anyone that is of consent age as well?

Oct 6, 2009, 02:46 PM
    In some U.S. states a lower age applies when the age gap between partners is small, or when the older partner is below a certain age (usually 18 or 21).
    So it depends. In Michigan, a 16 year old can have sex with a 80 year-old. However, in some states a 16 y/o may only be able to have sex with those under 18 or 21.

Oct 6, 2009, 02:47 PM

Okay, do you know where I can find out which states its illegal?
    Sorry this is so confusing.

Oct 6, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh23211 View Post
    Okay, do you know where I can find out which states its illegal?
    Sorry this is so confusing.
    Im sure if you type your states name into Google in addition with the words "Age of Consent Rules" you can find what your looking for. But I don't know of any sites that go that much into detail for each state unless you tell me what state you need info for. The only reason I know about Michigan's is because that's where I live, and discussed it in my law classes.

Oct 6, 2009, 02:54 PM

The state I need info for is Minnesota.

Oct 6, 2009, 03:06 PM
    The state I need info for is Minnesota.

First-degree criminal sexual conduct is sexual penetration with a victim under age 13 and an actor more than 36 months older.

Third-degree criminal sexual conduct is sexual penetration with (1) a victim under age 13 and an actor no more than 36 months older or (2) a victim age 13 to 16 and an actor more than 24 months older.

Statutory Rape Laws by State

So as long as you are 17 you will be fine.

Oct 6, 2009, 03:31 PM

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2009, 03:36 PM

What, are you going to move so you can have sex?

State laws differ and they can be complex. In some cases, its simple, if one party is under the age of consent then no one can legally have sex with them. In other states, it depends on the difference between the ages.

Why don't you tell us what state YOU are in and what your real situation is? Instead of playing these games!

Oct 6, 2009, 03:42 PM

Excuse me?
    I was asking for information. No need to point fingers. I have everything figured out, so thanks anyway.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 04:12 PM

Sounds like someone who may be trying to have sex with someone underage and trying to justify it, anytime they are ashamed of their actions are their actions are not proper, they neve want to give details,

If they were not wanting to hide somehting they would have just give details

Oct 6, 2009, 04:19 PM

What's with people being so rude and judgmental? That's not the case at all. Don't assume stuff. I figured out what I needed to know. No need for you to put your two sense in on this. I asked for information not for opinions and judging. If I would have known this site was like this I would have figured information out another way. I'm not an overage person trying to have sex with and underage person. So lets keep the judgmental stuff to yourself.

Oct 6, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sounds like someone who may be trying to have sex with someone underage and trying to justify it, anytime they are ashamed of thier actions are their actions are not proper, they neve want to give details,

if they were not wanting to hide somehting they would have just give details
    Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. If the OP is thinking about moving to a state where the age of consent is lower, there would be the Mann Act to consider. Which prohibits transporting someone across state lines for the purpose of sexual activity.

I really didn't expect the OP to answer my question, because it would probably reveal themselves as planning to have sex with a minor.

Oct 6, 2009, 04:26 PM

Whats with people being so rude and judgmental? That's not the case at all. Don't assume stuff. I figured out what I needed to know. No need for you to put your two sense in on this. I asked for information not for opinions and judging. If I would have known this site was like this I would have figured information out another way. I'm not an overage person trying to have sex with and underage person. So lets keep the judgmental stuff to yourself.
    Sorry I don't buy it. If you are on the up and up, then why pose your question like you did? Why hide the real situation. If you don't want to be judged that way, then don't be so surreptitious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's age of consent ? [ 10 Answers ]

I thought age of consent in Maryland is 16 and there's no age gap provisions.. isnt it rite ? So that mean you can have sex with your 16 yr old girlfriend even if u're 30.. rite ? I don't know, if its' right then, what Can you do when u're 18 that you can't do when you were 16? Vote and buy...

Consent to take son [ 3 Answers ]

I am courious, I am married and have a 14 yr old by my husband I am married to now. A few years ago when I was traveling a lot into Canada, he signed a paper that is notorized giving me permission to take my son anywhere in or outside the US. We are having marriage problem I am thinking of leaving...

Age of Consent [ 2 Answers ]

I know that the age of consent in Indiana is 16, but does that mean that a 16 year old can have sex with someone over 21 or is that illegal? Can charges be pressed by parents of the 16 year old if she has had sex with a man over 21? I keep getting mixed reports on this question, so if someone...

Age of consent [ 2 Answers ]

At what age in South Carolina, can a child chose which parent he can live with when the parents are divorced?

View more questions Search