Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andclare75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Ceiling on downstairs neighbors bathroom is leaking.
    My neighbor's bathroom ceiling has a leak. I live in a condo (they were converted from apartments). The neighbor’s bathroom is right under my bathroom, she stated that I must have a leak. I checked all the plumbing that is visible and my toilet is not clogged and has not been clogged there is also not any water on the floor. I don't know where to look for the problem. What could be causing this leak?
    Adventurewagen Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 2, 2006, 11:14 AM
    While I am not a plumber, I have or "had" the same issue with the toilet I'm trying to now change upstairs. Go figure right before we were going to remodel it started leaking. Luckily I could find the leak because its above our basement.

My guess is that the wax ring the toilet sits on to create a seal has gone bad or maybe the toilet is cracked at the base. I'm not sure if you have to call anyone to work on it since you live in a condo, but I'd recommend just pulling the toilet and taking a look.

What you'll need to do...
    Purchase a new wax toilet ring before you do this (regardless of what you find), they are say 5 bucks from the hardware store, then shut the water off to the toilet and unscrew that connection so you can totally remove the toilet. The toilet will be bolted to a metal ring in the floor with two bolts, one on either side holding it down.

You may need to pop off a couple of caps hiding those bolts. Once undone just pull the toilet off the ground. I recommend trying to empty the tank and bowl of water and taking off the tank lid first. Then maybe even get a couple of towels handy to get the little bit of excess water that will spash out.

Once the toilet is up you'll see the old ring and can inspect the bottom of your toilet. You may find the ring totally destroyed or a crack in the toilet. If the ring looked really good and sealed and the toilet has no cracks you may have to pull the toilet mount off the ground.

I'd guess the ring or toilt is the problem and a new ring or new toilet will solve the problem. The worst you could do is find out its neither but put it back together with the new ring anyway until you can spend more time to dig a big further or get somebody else to come in and take a look at it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole...

Garage Ceiling Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know anything about plumbing. When I am starting shower on upper floor toilet then water start leaking on the garage ceiling. Where to start checking and how to start checking. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ceiling started leaking [ 7 Answers ]

We heard water and looked up and our ceiling was leaking while my daughter was in the shower which is directly above where the leak was... I have no clue where to start and can't afford a plumber... HELP

Urine smell in downstairs bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

WE have a bathroom downstairs that has a strong urine smell coming from the shower , either under the shower or in the drain. What can I do about this to figure out why this is happening? Val

Bathtub Backup & Leaking ceiling! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. Recently, we had a problem with our upstairs bathroom. I think one of our kids may have pushed a small plastic toy down the bathtub plughole. Now, when the toilet flushes, water fills to the brim and slowly goes down. Any attempts to plunge the toilet results in brown "toilet" water backing up...

View more questions Search