Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ILuvSeals Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2004, 06:59 PM
    9month old dog won't eat
    Hi I have an Australian shepherd (well, she's supposed to be, but we think she's got dachshund in her because she's so small) named Luckie. She's been a happy normal playful puppy up until recently. This week, Monday I think, I left for school and when I got home my parents said that Luckie had been whining and crying and barking all day. My first idea was that she missed me, but she's never done this sort of thing before.
    Also, her eating habits: when first we got her she ate just fine, all of it in one sitting. But slowly she's been eating half of it (and then going back for the rest in the middle of the night), and now starting this week she's not eating it at all unless I hand-feed her. Another thing I'd like to mention is that sometimes she'll go to the bowl and stick her nose in it and push the kibbles all around, and sometimes she'll sniff and then start nosing the side of the bowl.
    She's never done these sort of things before. Its odd because when I let her outside she runs and plays like she's fine.

What could be wrong?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2004, 07:51 PM
    Re: 9month old dog won't eat
    The first step in any change of behavior is a check up making sure the vet knows about the behavior. Often it doesn't turn up anything, but if there is an underlying physical cause, no amount of training will fix the problem.

On the barking and whining, something has changed. Was this the first you went to school, and has it continued? She could be reading you being upset about leaving her.

Not all dogs are typical of a breed. Still many herding dogs tend to be light eaters. They simply refuse to eat more than enough to barely hide their ribs. Some of them, you even have to tolerate a little rib showing at least when young. You didn't say how old she was. Most dogs do cut back a little as their growth slows. This is true even if you switch them to an adult chow early to slow growth and develop stronger joints. If she is at least 6 months, you can feed her one meal a day of an adult chow. Start with about what she is eating now. Put it down and let her eat. Even if she has only sniffed and nibbled at the most, take it up after 15 minutes. Do not fed her anything until the next day. This will be harder on you than on her. I was a basket case after my one German Shepherd went 3 days without eating. You may have an additional problem convincing your parents not to give her goodies through the day. Your vet can help you judge her body condition. There is a great guide on judging your dog at http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292. Even that is meant for average dogs, and she may insist on being a little leaner. It was especially hard dealing with my Shepherd after so many Labs. Most of them eat like they thought you took it away after 15 seconds. I think my 10 year old is worse than my 8 month old.

Australian Shepherds are great dogs. I first learned about them in 1992 when my daughter was in the 4-H dog club. There were several of them in the club, and they did very well. Later I learned at least one dog guide school breeds them and they work very well. Their biggest problem as dog guides is becoming too protective of young single ladies. They are highly intelligent and love to work.
    ILuvSeals Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2004, 08:00 PM
    I think I mentioned she was about nine months. I've been going to school everyday since August and its just been here recently that she's been whining and such. She was also kind of thin when we first got her.
    Hopefully we'll get to the vet come Sunday when everyone is off work. I wish I could take her sooner, but I myself don't drive yet.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2004, 08:36 PM
    Ok, the age was in the subject. Sorry I missed it. Also the eating and barking may both be linked to some sort of emotional thing. They are so sensitive to our moods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat [ 102 Answers ]

I have a German Sheperd that just won't eat!! We have tried dry food and meat but he just won't take it! If you have any ideas of how to fix this please let me know. Ill Try anything. Thanks heaps, dog_lover

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

My dog won't eat... Please help [ 6 Answers ]

My dog Rex hasn't ate in three days. I took him to the vet today she said he has a slight infection. She gave me meds to give him but if he doesn't eat anything not even ice cream how am I supposed to give him his meds... PLEASE HELP... does anyone have any suggestions...

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

View more questions Search