Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craftyone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Sink smells like sulfer, my husband says it smells like bleach
    Our downstairs bathroom sink smells like sulfer to me... my husband says it smells like bleach. :confused: It seems to have the more of an odor in the morning. This is the only sink that smells this way. We are on county water.

I just want to brush my teeth with clean smelling water.:D

Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.
    craftyone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 05:58 PM

I can't get the stopper out of the sink to try and bleach it as suggested on some of the other posts. How do I get it out?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 06:02 PM

Reach under the sink, around behind the drain pipe, where the lift rod goes into the drain pipe. Unscrew the nut around that rod and pull the rod back. Then lift the stopper out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 06:04 PM

Have your husband sniff a bottle of bleach and ask him if that is what he smells, it won't be but you get to laugh when he winces from the bleach smell. You do not need to remove the stopper but it helps with some of our cures. Does it have a pop up handle, if so reach under the sink behind the up and down pipe right below the bowl. You will feel a small knob fitting with a chrome rod sticking out pointing at the wall. Unscrew that knob and pull the ord out, lift the stopper. Try bleach or this before removing the stopper. Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda with equal amount of table salt. Mix and spoon into the drain hole followed by a 1/2 cup of vinegar, watch it work. Tomorrow dump a bucket pf very hot water down the drain all at once, smelling better? No baking soad, just dump a cup of bleach and tomorrow the hot water.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 10:10 AM

Follow as Ballengerb1 suggested, if that would not work, then the Oder may be coming from the sink overflow opening if that is the case.

Remove the sink's pop-up stopper; you probably will have to remove the pivot rod and its assembly in order to remove the pop-up. See the image below.
    Once the pop-up is removed, stuff a rag down the sink drain hole. If you had to remove the pivot rod assembly, you should also place a pan under the sink to catch any runoff from the cleaning process.
    Pour a mixture of 50 percent bleach and 50 percent water into the overflow opening. Use a funnel to do this, and stop when the mixture overflows the opening. Some of the mixture will leak through the rag and into the drain, so periodically pour more of the mixture into the overflow opening. Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes to an hour, clean the pop-up stopper with the mixture before and install it then flush the overflow channel with clear water, see the image below.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink smells moldy [ 5 Answers ]

I have cleaned the trap and used trap cleaning liquid. This helps for a short time and then the odor returns.

1 Bathroom sink smells like sewage [ 6 Answers ]

The water that comes out of our two sinks in our master bathroom smells like sewage! Our house was just built this past year so I'm not sure what is causing this problem.

Kitchen sink plumbing smells [ 1 Answers ]

We have sewer smells coming from kitchen sink... especially after water drains out.. Any idea to cover up smells? Baking soda no longer works... repair under sink?

Kitchen sink smells [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink, installed 6 months ago, has a musty smell. I believe it comes from the $500. Grohe faucet. The hole in the granite where the faucet comes up through seems to smell, and sometimes I think that when I turn on the water, a musty smell comes along with it. The water doesn't taste...

One bathroom sink in house smells like a sewer [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 2 story home, 1 year old, crawl space, no basement. Our main level 1/2 bath is the only bathroom in the house that smells like a sewer when the water in the sink is turned on. I can usually only smell it when the water is running, and it seems to be getting worse over time. We...

View more questions Search