Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Passat167 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Lived in NJ 10 months Moved to NYC Staten Island for 2 months while working in NYC
    Hello,
    I have lived in New Jersey and worked in Manhattan for the past few years. Now I have moved from New Jersey to Staten Island NY but still own my home in New Jersey. Do I fill out NY state taxes as a partial resident for 2009? Also next year when I file will I have residency in 2 states or just one ( renting my condo in Nj and living and working in NYC) thank you :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 11:52 AM

Your house in NJ is now considered to be a second home, and your principal residence is NYC. So for tax year 2009 you fill out NY State as a partial year resident as well as a partial year non-resident with NY State income, and also NJ as a partial year resident for 2009. I'm sure you're also aware that since you are now a resident of NYC you will pay NYC resident tax - the amount is calculated as part of your NY State tax return.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Oct 5, 2009, 12:46 PM

Check out this link;
    IT-203 Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return Information

Plenty of information here to help you with your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ Worked in NY for 3 months later moved to CA. Which state taxes need to fi [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in NJ Worked in NY for 3 months(Jan, Feb, March) later moved to CA. Here are my questions related to tax filing : 1) Do I need to file NJ or NY tax returns or Both? ( Here I know that I need to file CA state tax returns as I am current residant of CA) 2) My Wife don't have...

My mother in_law lived with me for 6 months [ 5 Answers ]

My mother in-law lived with my wife and I for 6 months and paid no bills or rent can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes? And if so what form would I use.

Lived in NJ for 7 months, lived in PA for 5 months - What taxes should I file? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having some issues with this. In 2008 I lived in Jersey for 7 months, lived in PA for the other 5 months and have ALWAYS worked in Jersey. What forms should I file? I filed PA already and NJ Resident for those 7 months. Do I have to do a NJNR for the other 5 months?

Grandson has lived with me 9 months. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in FL. My 3 yr. old grandson has lived with me for 9 months now. My daughter asked me to take care of him at first for financial reasons. She (single) could not support him. His father has never contributed and visited seldom (one every few months) and moved to California 4 months ago with...

Lived in NJ for 6 months and worked in NYC and then in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in NJ (no income in NJ) from Jan 2006 to June 2006 and worked in NYC during this period. I then moved to PA for the rest of the year. The year prior (in 2005) I lived in NJ and worked in NYC the entire year and I did not have to pay anything to NJ. But this year in 2006 when I do...

View more questions Search