Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    navz22 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 2, 2006, 09:17 AM
    I agree with you Sentra. He is not in the armed forces. I think the whole issue with him now that I think about it is that he wasn't allowed in to any branch due to his eye sight (even though it was corrected) and now he resents me for being a high ranking naval officer. I'm not trying to turn this into a battle by any means, I just got back from one! (One's enough lol). I do appriciate everyone's comments and opinions, and Lisa's link to the California tenants and rights booklet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by navz22
    Scott, additionally I read your comments "guidelines". And I stick by my initial comment to excon. He did not prove that it was factual. I specifically asked at one point if i had any legal standing. Regardless of the answer (be it that I do or do not) it would have been most pertinant to cite something. My negative comment was not a slam or to offend anyone. It was soley that his answer did not help me legally or point me in any direction. I am thankful for his opinion, and for him responding so quickly.
    Its not up to him to prove its factual. Your OP did not asked for specific cites. Your negative comment was predicated on the basis that he didn't give you what you didn't ask for. Not on whether the info was factual or not (which it was).

You can't fire military lawyers unfortunately
    Ok, so you can't fire him. But you can tell him to not give you incorrect advice. I would assume that military lawyers are well versed in military law. I would NOT assume they are well versed in civilian law. There are so many different aspects of law, that one can't assume one lawyer would know answers out of their field.

If this military shyster told you that your roommate/landlord can't terminate the arrangement without cause, then he gave you incorrect advice. Bottomline, in the absence of a written lease, an occupancy arrangement is considered on a month to month basis. Either party of that arrangement can terminate the arrangement with one months notice. So I hope you are looking for new digs. Maybe the shyster will let you move in with him.

Nov 2, 2006, 09:21 AM
    HAHA Scott. Thank you. Very kind of you. Thank you again for your advice and opinion (and facts as we've now come to understand them) Much appriciated sir.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 2, 2006, 09:29 AM
    I agree with you Sentra. He is not in the armed forces. I think the whole issue with him now that I think about it is that he wasn't allowed in to any branch due to his eye sight (even though it was corrected) and now he resents me for being a high ranking naval officer. I'm not trying to turn this into a battle by any means, I just got back from one!! (One's enough lol). I do appriciate everyones comments and opinions, and Lisa's link to the california tenants and rights booklet.

Welcome back to the mainland, then, and quite honestly, tell those people over at JAG to stuff the cockamamy jargon into an F-17. Sounds like they are giving you the runaround.

Nov 2, 2006, 09:40 AM
    LOL. Sentra. There's too many politics in the mil to fit into an f-17!

Nov 2, 2006, 09:47 AM
    That's what we have aircraft carriers for. :)

Nov 2, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Lol
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Sentra: 1) why I would even bother considering an answer from someone with a screenname such as "excon"?
    Hello navz:

I don't why you would bother to ask a question and then denigrate those who took the time to answer you, even if they had names that you don't like. I don't know what motivates you, at all. You asked a question. I answered. You insulted me, and you continue to do so.

You think you have permission to insult me, because you don't like my name. Where did you make that up from? In truth, Sir, you do not! In polite society, people don't do that. I wouldn't think I'd have to point that out to an, apparently, educated man. Bummer. I'm wrong.

You wanted to know the law. I taught you some manners instead. What do you want to bet, that you haven't yet, learned them?

excon

Nov 2, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Dear Sir,

I never insulted you. If you took it as an insult, my sincere apologies.
    I do not need anyone's permission to insult anyone. I am aware you answered my question, however put yourself in my shoes. Someone that I don't know with a name such as yours gives me information and I'm supposed to believe it without questioning the source? That would be quite foolish on my part sir. Furthermore, I don't care about "polite" society or "politically correct" society. Both of those terms as I see it go against everything I fight for, both here and overseas. [Freedom]. You claim to have taught me manners, but failed to recognize that manners are not the same for everyone. What one person may consider proper manners may be quite rude to someone else, due to a variety of different reasons (i.e. culture, tradition, religion). So with respect, I will tell you that I appriciate your attempt to "teach me manners" but would rather you keep them to yourself as I do not plan on adhering to or adopting any of them. Finally, I would not make light of my education. I possess three degrees from a very distinguished university, and am one of the youngest officers in the Military. My education, is well above the competition for lack of a better term. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Well lets see now. The lowest officer title in the Navy is Ensign. Graduates from Annapolis enter the Navy at that rank. Assuming most who enter Annapolis do so from high school, they would graduate at 22 or 23. So being "one of the youngest officers in the Military", could simply mean that you are a recent grad from Annapolis. I notice that twice now you referred to being an officer but withheld the exact rank. Just something to make me go hmmmm.

I can see that a "politically correct society" as going against what you perceive to be fighting for. But a "polite society" is simply a matter of being respectful of others. And that shouldn't go against anything that you fight for. My understanding of military training is that one is taught respect as a matter of course. Even to the point where you respect things that have not earned it.

It may just be me, but looking back over this thread, I detect a certain degree of arrogance in you. One of entitlement. Just because you do things in a way you consider right, you seem to thinkl that entitles you to certain considerations you may not be entitled to.

Nov 2, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Let me try to make light of this: Keep on with this thread, as long as it can be done and hashed out in a mudpit.

:)!

Nov 2, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Scott,
    I am not entitled to anything that anyone else isn't. Don't let arrogance be confused with confidence. In the military we are taught to respect yes. We are not however taught to respect people that haven't earned it, but to respect the uniform they wear, should they. I always withhold my rank unless the situation calls for it. I am not a recent grad, I graduated quite a few years ago in fact.
    To Everyone: I did not intend for this post to become a pissing or ing contest, or a contest about whose is bigger. I believe that everyone, including myself is to blame. For that fact, I can only take account for myself and once again say thank you to those of you who provided answers backed by facts, and additionally, thank you for your opinions.

Nov 2, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Keep us up to date on the living situation, we'll be here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancée and I having been staying in an apartment in PA for over a year and a half. We did not renew our previous lease but have continued to stay based on the leases provisions. The lease states that after the lease ends (1yr) that the tenant may stay on a 60 day provision. The tenant must...

Have I got idiot written on my forehead? [ 13 Answers ]

I am a 25yr old female. Recently went on a (rare) date with a guy. Went really well. Had quite a lot in common with him. He said we could go out again. Since, he just makes working late an excuse. Haven't heard from him in a week. Then at weekend, was happy as met a different guy, who gave...

No written lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

No lease between landlord and myself. Landlord refuses to make repairs. I have not paid rent. Have only been in house for 2months Landlord send a typed letter stating he wants me out in 6days. Is that legal in Indiana?

NEED HELP --Lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

On April 18 I filled out an application for an apartment for June 1 and gave a $649 deposit to be held for last month rent. The next day they called and let me know I got the apartment. Since then I got back together with my girlfrend and moved back with her. I contacted the apartment company on...

View more questions Search