Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisywisy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 02:38 PM
    401k tax
    I hope someone can help me with this one, My aunt died this year her 401k was closed and the money was sent to her sisters in England, should there have been a lower tax paid on it because she had passed away, also should the tax have been different as it was leaving the country,

I really appreciate any help regarding this matter thank you in advance :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 04:50 PM
    Money probably was withheld to cover the income taxes due on distribution.

The sisters need to file that tax return, because the 401K was funded with pre-tax money, and the distribution is considered income for tax purposes.

The tax rate is no different than if her sisters lived in the U.S. They will have to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ as non-resident aliens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Structure on 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Browsed many forums but couldn't find an answer to my Question. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here. I currently have 8000 USD ($8K) in my 401K account. I started it just 2 yrs back. Im planning to take up school next year and leave my job. If I withdraw all this 401K...

401K Penalty and Tax Question [ 11 Answers ]

undefinedLast year when I left my job I took my 401K money in the amount of $9850. I realize I have to pay taxes on this in the amount of $1174 (from tax table) and a penalty (I am unsure of the amount). (Is this penalty after tax?) I have listed this on my 1040A line 11a as an "IRA Distribution"...

401K and which state tax ? [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that I have to pay fed and state tax when I take out 401K at 59 1/2 yrs old. Currently I have lived in California for 30 yrs and have 401K. Next year I plan to retire and considering moving to Texas or Arizona where the cost of living is lower than California. Question: which...

401K Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in Nevada for 5 years with an H-1B visa. Now I am back to the school for my MBA degree in Atlanta, Georgia. I have $12,000 vested in my 401K Account. Since I am neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident, I am considering to cash my 401K and use it for my tuition. As I understand...

401K Penalty and Tax Question [ 4 Answers ]

Last year when I left my job I took my 401K money in the amount of $9850. I realize I have to pay taxes on this in the amount of $1174 (from tax table) and a penalty (I am unsure of the amount). (Is this penalty after tax?) I have listed this on my 1040A line 11a as an "IRA Distribution" (this was...

View more questions Search