Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catapillar21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 02:59 AM
    Vitiligo and Complete Depigmentation.
    Hello all,

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I make any errors with regards to posting etiquette.

I am currently on the verge of turning 20. I was diagnosed with Vitiligo approximately 2 years ago. I never knew I would get it, and it hit me like a railroad train. But I adapted.
    It has become a part of me. It is on all my limbs (albeit in VERY small amounts). However, on my face it is very noticeable. I have noticed new breakouts of Vitiligo on different parts of my body in recent months.

I spoke to a doctor and he has referred me to counselling, because I have lost most, if not all of my confidence. Before my vitiligo I was so cheerful, happy and bubbly and now I can't even look new people in my life in the face. Every time I talk to someone I watch their eyes closely only to see them looking at the Vitiligo on my face and not in my eyes. I know they aren’t thinking negative thoughts (at least I hope not haha) they are just curious. Vitiligo has changed me, that’s a fact.

I yearn to be just ONE colour. I tried steroid creams to help me back to my original colour but it didn't work. I want to visit a dermatologist to consider complete de-pigmentation. I just want to be one colour again... I hate being in "two states" and I want to regain that confidence that I miss so much.

Moreover, I want to settle down in the future, and I'm just afraid that girls out there will see my Vitiligo and just run...

Where do I go from here?

I appreciate all the advice given. Sorry if my post sounds like a sob story... :(

Regards,
    Caterpillar.

Oct 5, 2009, 03:01 AM

I meant to say people look at my vitiligo more than they look me in the eye. (line 12)
    fairr Posts: 285, Reputation: 6

Oct 5, 2009, 08:44 AM

Well what's your original complexion?

Oct 5, 2009, 09:51 AM

Hello!

I would say wheatish/fair.
    superk Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Oct 5, 2009, 10:18 AM

We talked about Michael Jackson on this link. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/entert...el-377004.html

On the series of Geraldo show here, they offered option how to deal with Vitiligo since nobody knows about this disease before until Michael.

Golden_Boy Posts: 330, Reputation: 6

Oct 5, 2009, 01:38 PM

Look on the bright side, you may be the envy of many of us here who idolize pinkish white skin :)

I would even say, consider your unfortunate affliction still a blessing in disguise, compared to other debilitating afflictions like melanoma.

I have checked out the VitiligoSupport.Org forum earlier today, and their first sticky post stresses that Skin Lightening and Depigmentation are two very different things.

That depigmenting involves killing most of the remaining weakened pigment-making cells in vitiligo skin permanently, over the course of a few years[/B].

While "Skin lightening" is the only option for everyone else like me, who wants a lighter or clearer or evener skin, but whose body will always produce normal brown pigmentation while I apply anything trying to counter the natural production.

I can't help but think of Michael Jackson when you overlap the two areas of skin lightening vs depigmentation, or vitiligo skin vs normal skin.

Have you tried anything other than Steroid for RE-pigmentation? Usually lamps, psoralens and many other drugs are used for RE-pigmentation atttempts, first.

You are so young, yet.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Welcome Caterpillar. Sorry to hear of your dillema, it must be very stressful. You possibly have 2 choices, depigmentation or re-pigmentation therapy as Golden Boy mentioned. The only 2 depigmentation agents I know of is monobenzone (benoquin) and mequinol/tretinoin 20% (solage).

For repigmentation treatment for vitiligo is usually ultraviolet (UV) light therapy, which can take several months. Secondly, is the transplantation of pigment cells (melanocytes). Vitamin C along with other vitamins and minerals, can also be beneficial.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2004/10/18/5670.aspx#
    http://www.beatpsoriasis.com/vitiligo-faq.htm#7
    http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C198136.html
    http://dermatology.jwatch.org/cgi/co...ull/2007/601/1
    Bilal_Ali Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
    Don't get depressed and be confident because vitiligo is not something out of this world. There are several therapies and treatment that can help you re-pigment your skin.

According to American Vitiligo Research Foundation no cure is available for this disease. The main of goal of vitiligo treatment is to stop or slow down the progression rate of de-pigmentation. Some treatments are also available for re-pigmentation.

I can suggest you three different ways for repigmenting your skin or disguising vitiligo:

1) Use vitiligo cover makeup for disguising vitiligo.
    Vitiligo Treatment, News and Products

2) You can also repigment your skin by using Antivitiligo Oil (herbal treatment)
    Vitiligo, Vitiligo Treatment, Vitiligo cure, Skin white patches : Anti-Vitiligo

3) Your can use UV lamp therapy for re-pigment of your skin. A number of lamps are available in the market.
    Dermalight | Dermalight 80 | Dermalight80 | Dermalight-80.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Monobenzone 20% + Benzylarbutin 20% + Tretinoin 0.1% True Depigmentation? [ 3 Answers ]

So I've been browsing around several skin lightening forums for a few weeks now and found from 2 people who claimed that the formula for permanent depigmentation for people with NO vitiligo is Monobenzone 20% + Benzylarbutin 20% + Tretinoin 0.1% Anyone have any experience with this? I...

Hypopigmentation/depigmentation of skin [ 4 Answers ]

Are there any suggestions for the restoration of pigment or color to skin? I have "scarring" or lack of color due to eczema.

A vitiligo patient wants the rest of her skin to acquire vitiligo [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I'm a 19 years old female. I have acquired viligo since I was 6 years old. And since then it started spreading all over my body(face, hands, legs.. ). Now more than 50% of my body is white while the other part is still patched. Is there any way in which I could help vitiligo spread over the...

Depigmentation using household products? [ 6 Answers ]

This may sound insane, and I don't think I'm ready to try it, but I was just wondering if there are any household products (i.e. cleaning chemicals, bleaches) that can induce a decrease in pigment, possibly a permanent one, if applied to the skin? Of course the product would also have to be safe...

View more questions Search