Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinchinpennies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Garage Ceiling Repair
    A friend was putting this in the attic space over the garage and caused a seam to split in the ceiling. There isn't a hole just a two foot length where the popcorn ceiling is split down the seam and sagging downward on one side. It is only inches away from the ceiling fan. How do I repair this?
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 07:09 AM

Your firs problem is having a popcorn ceiling. No matter ho good you are, you are going to see the patch. You are going to have to treat it like latex paint. Find the edges of the bubble and cut it out with a utility knife. Make sure not to cut through the drywall.
    On the otherhand, if it is the drywall itself that is sagging, you can screw it back up. Make a couple of deadmen "2x4's nailed together like a capital "T" an inch or so longer than the height of the ceiling. Use these to put pressure on the sheetrock to hold it tight to the joists again. Screw the boards back up DO NOT NAIL THEM. Using drywall nails on a ceiling is a huge mistake. A lot of companies do because its a lot cheaper, but after a few years, you start seeing circular bubbles in your home from the wood drying out and releasing the nails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair Damaged Flat Garage Roof [ 5 Answers ]

Several planks running across the rafters of a one car garage in an older home have dry rotted about 8-10 inches from their ends where they had been nailed into the rafter. The remainder of the planks are solid and so are the rupport rafters. The tarred roof covering is in very good shape on most...

Garage Floor/Apron repair [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to help a friend repair cracked sunken garage floor. The apron 8" out past where the garage door closes and 8-10" into the garage have cracked and sunk near the inside block walls. I have poured sidewalks, driveways and pads, but never a garage floor. At first, I thought he just...

Ceiling joists over garage [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question that I hope I can provide enough details for to get some opinions. This is a situation that existed in my house when I purchased it, and wasn't mentioned by the home inspector. The home has a 1 1/2 car garage (not quite 2... ) with a steeply pitched roof. The previous...

Garage Ceiling Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know anything about plumbing. When I am starting shower on upper floor toilet then water start leaking on the garage ceiling. Where to start checking and how to start checking. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ceiling fan repair [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a remote control (no pull) hampton bay ceiling fan. I originally hooked it up to a wall plug with a dimmer. Bad! It worked for a while until the little black box blew up! I then changed it to a wall plug without a dimmer and replaced the little box. Since then, the remote works...

View more questions Search