Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jen8446 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Collection Agency
    I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that I would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill so that I knew exactly what I was paying, and to make sure that I didn't have insurance at the time. She refused to send me a bill and said that she's not going to go back and forth, and just gave me a major attitude. I told her that I would gladly make payments and pay it off (it's only $650, but I don't have it all now) but that I need a bill, again she refused. Then I spoke with her supervisor who said that she will send me a copy of the bill, but because I was giving her problems (which I wasn't, I just wanted a bill) that I will have to pay the full amount in the next 10 days or she'll start an investigation. She was very rude, she was yelling at me, wouldn't let me get two words in, she would just talk over me. I think this is very rude and unprofessional. I would just like to know if I have to pay all of it in 10 days, or if I can just make payments. And if I do make payments can she still take me to court?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 01:55 PM
    It they cannot provide a copy of the bill, than there is no bill. Tell them to put up or shut up. Have all contact with you done only in writing.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen8446
    I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that i would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill so that I knew exactly what I was paying, and to make sure that I didn't have insurance at the time. She refused to send me a bill and said that she's not going to go back and forth, and just gave me a major attitude. I told her that I would gladly make payments and pay it off (it's only $650, but I don't have it all now) but that I need a bill, again she refused. Then I spoke with her supervisor who said that she will send me a copy of the bill, but because I was giving her problems (which I wasn't, I just wanted a bill) that I will have to pay the full amount in the next 10 days or she'll start an investigation. She was very rude, she was yelling at me, wouldn't let me get two words in, she would just talk over me. I think this is very rude and unprofessional. I would just like to know if I have to pay all of it in 10 days, or if I can just make payments. And if I do make payments can she still take me to court?
    Don't deal with these people. Settle with the original debtor and send the collection agency a cease communication letter. I found a good copy of this letter on www.budhibbs.com Let me know if this helps.

Nov 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Thanks, I'll send them the letter, but I need to know if I make payments even though she told me I have to pay it all in 10 days, can she take me to court. It's only $600, I could pay it off pretty fast, she's just being a nasty B****.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 07:04 PM
    Don't talk to these type of people ever on the phone, always in writing,

They lie, "start an investigation" they don't investigate, that is a scare method, if they wanted to sue to get a judgement they would have already done that.

For most medical bills like at the hospital, most hosptials will settle for 1/2 the amount if you can pay it. ( not all)

Talk to the hospital, see if they will let you make payments to them,

If the collection people call back, hang up or tell them to write you only and then hang up. They have to send you the info in writing and have to provide proof of the bill.

If they have not sent you any bill in writing, I would place these up with a good level of crooked collections that harrass and lie and cheat to try and get the money.

*** as said before, deal with the hospital directly only, ingore these people, don't offer them anyting don't even admit you owe them money, deny you owe the money unless they send you proof, if you acknowledge you owe them money they will be worst than ever

Nov 3, 2006, 07:15 AM
    The only problem with calling the hospital and making payments, is that the hopital closed down a couple years ago.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Who owns the debt, did the debt collector buy the debt, Do they have the original contract to verify the debt, no contract no debt.
    maxinatlanta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 01:27 AM
    Oh well. I took care of collection agency in one letter that I have found here:
    http://www.awakeningblog.com/collection-agency.html

That is all what you need. They stopped bothering me and I told them in the letter that they can't resell the debt.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BLOW THE 30 DAY DISPUTE WINDOW... WHEN you dispute the debt, you put them on notice that you dispute part, or all of the ALLEGED DEBT. Which is true, because they are jacking you with interest, legal fees, handling their sack fees, etc. So you're disputing that until they prove their case.

So, if you send the right response letter, they are blocked and checkmated in most cases... (exception... state banks generally because they FOLLOW THE LAW).

Good luck. It worked for me every time. Peace, Love, Understanding :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency Statute of Limitations [ 15 Answers ]

I received a call out of the blue from a collection agency looking to collect on a loan I defaulted on and never repaid. This loan has since been removed from my credit record due to our local Statute of Limitations (6 years). Can this collection agency still collect? Are they still within...

Collection Agency - Over 2 years old debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My parents received a call from a Collection Agency regarding ME They took the info and I called them Apparently over 2 years ago I had an outstanding bill with Bell Canada I asked the Collection Agency to tell me what was on the Bill They stated they only had a dollar amount and no...

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Talk to a Collection Agency- NEED HELP PLEASE! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I just got a disturbing phone call today about a debit that my mother owes, its for 20000.00 and it totally slip her head because she just recently was in the hospital for cancer treatment, well anyway, talk with the collection agency and they said they wanted to settle before they sue,...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search