Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nick jr Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Electric heater in garage
    I want to put an electrical heater in my garage. The specs are as follows: 10.0/7.5 KW, 240/208 V, 1/3 Phase, 49 amps. Would I be OK to run 8 gauge wire on a 50 amp 2 pole breaker or should I go larger? The 49 amp rating is the max at start up and the unit averages 42 amps while running. Also I am installing this unit high up near the ceiling and want to put an on/off switch lower down the wall. What kind of switch should I use for this? I thank you in advance for your answer.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 04:34 PM
    You will need #6 on a 60A breaker.

For a switch you would need a 60A disconnect. You could use a pullout style disconnect like those typically used on A/C units, but I would just use the breaker.

Question, why up high? You do realize this will be much less efficient.
    nick jr Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    You will need #6 on a 60A breaker.

For a switch you would need a 60A disconnect. You could use a pullout style disconnect like those typically used on A/C units, but I would just use the breaker.

Question, why up high? You do realize this will be much less efficient.
    Thanks for the quick response. I probably will put it midway between floor and ceiling after your answer. I wanted a switch because the breaker panel is in the basement and I wanted a means to turn it on and off in the garage. I will probably go with a disconnect. Another question I have is that the wire will be partially in the wall and partially in conduit. Can I use Romex for concealed wire, put in an exposed junction box and go from junction box to heater with individual, color coded wires that I think are called THHN wire? Would this be conforming to electrical code"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric to detached garage [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I have a detached garage just under 300' from the 200 amp service at the house. I plan to run the wire underground in conduit. I am a little confused as to what (exact) type of wire I should have for this run. I am going to have a 100 amp sub-panel in the...

Electric Eye Garage door - how do you open it up? [ 2 Answers ]

The wires that enter the back side of my sensor have broken off. How do I open the darn thing to re-attach the wires?

Electric remote for garage door opener [ 4 Answers ]

My garage door opener doesn't work. The wiring is inside the wall and to fix it I would have to tear out a section of the garage wall. I'd have to call an electrician. So I've been using the remote in my car, but it's a bother. I bought another remote from ACE hardware just like it but apparently...

Electric Garage Heater [ 8 Answers ]

I'm installing a 208/240 electric garage heater. The KW is 7.5/10.0 and the AMPS is 36.0/42.0, BTUs per hour is 25.6/34.1. I plan on using a 50AMP breaker for this heater and running number 8 wire from my main panel which is about 100 ft from the heater. Is the wire size and breaker size...

Garage Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling mounted heater, 5000 watt, 220 volt with a heater mounted thermostat. I am interested in changing to a wall mounted 24 volt programmable thermostat. How do I accomplish this?

View more questions Search